Attn: Pink Floyd nuts

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Attn: Pink Floyd nuts

Post by skyboltone »

In the original recording of "Have a Cigar" there is a rhythmic "scrubbing" of the bass part that really adds to the overall appeal of the piece. I had never really paid attention to it but recently picked up a newly remastered CD of the album.

What I'm wondering is if Roger Waters is on bass in that cut? It's pretty well known that the rest of the crew were pretty p/oed at Roger for claiming exclusive authorship of songs during this period and this song is indeed one of them where Waters claims the whole thing. Gilmour and Wright claim "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" and Waters and Gilmour claim "Wish You Were Here".

It's a pretty complex cut with a lot of obvious over dubs done in the studio. Anybody know for sure who's on bass in that one? Anyway I really like it whoever it is and whoever wrote it.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Cygnus X1

Re: Attn: Pink Floyd nuts

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Never gave it much thought.
It certainly has the patented chorus/phase sound that Waters favored, but that doesn't mean much.

Yes, I'm a Floyd fan-if anything the tune is typical of Roger's over cynical view of the music industry, and the ultimate foretelling of The Wall.

Or I might be over thinking the scenario.
With Floyd, I find it best to just shut up and enjoy the tone.
Never really appreciated Water's little problems anyhow.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Cygnus X1 wrote:Never gave it much thought.
It certainly has the patented chorus/phase sound that Waters favored, but that doesn't mean much.

Yes, I'm a Floyd fan-if anything the tune is typical of Roger's over cynical view of the music industry, and the ultimate foretelling of The Wall.

We're of one mind on that last bit for sure Cygnus. I've read so much garbage in the press obout Rogers being the devil and what not. I do think he "called" the show too soon, and history since 1986 certainly has prooved that point to him as well as everyone else. Firing Richard was a horrible mistake too. Count it all up to mid life crisis I say. To doubt that Roger was a supremely, no stunningly brilliant lyricist and musician really understates the case. I just don't think that he realized then that his brilliance needed the synergy of the rest of the band to come to full expression. Hence the lack of a solo carreer compared to Gilmore and the continued sucess of the band beyone the "breakup".

I don't think Richard Wright got the send off he deserved after his early demise. He was one of my heros, and Waters called him the harmoic genius of the band. So long Richard, may you rest easy and God bless. We'll allways miss you.

Anyway, This new Capitol remasterd release is worth every penny. Thanks Cygnus for what insight you offered I'll have to search YouTube for a live play of that and whatch how it's done.

I hate that my rock and roll gods are dieing off. I'm going to buy the live at Gdansk DVD just t have the final all togeather cut.....minus Syd of course. God rest him too.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
paulster

Post by paulster »

skyboltone wrote:I'm going to buy the live at Gdansk DVD just t have the final all togeather cut.....minus Syd of course.
Dan

The Gdansk DVD is well worth the money. Make sure you get the one that includes at least 2 CDs. I know there is a version with 2 DVDs and 2 CDs, a version with 2 DVDs and 3 CDs, and I'm not sure if there is a version with DVDs only.

The version of Fat Old Sun on the second CD (sadly omitted from the DVDs) is worth it alone to hear David really getting into a groove and having some fun.

It was recorded because I actually saw the footage on YouTube the other day, but it seems to have been pulled now. Here's the audio anyway to whet your appetite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_45jboYtFHE

And, if you don't have it, the Live 8 DVD is worth it for the quality of the recording of the all-too-brief Floyd reunion, which I fear will never be repeated now after Richard's death. Not that DG wanted to do it anyway, which was clear, but he might have been convinced at some point. I think one of the major motivational factors has now gone.

I'll have a good listen to Wish You Were Here later. Still my favourite Floyd album. I'm with you and Cygnus here as regards the politics: I just put one of the albums on and switch off from the outside world for an hour or so. It's not a bad way to spend a little time!

Paul
Ears

Post by Ears »

skyboltone wrote:.... and this song is indeed one of them where Waters claims the whole thing. ...
Dan
Gilmour ought to have earned co-writing credits on the solo guitar part alone.
IMO its one of his best efforts, the song relies on it and the guitar fills every bit as much as the introductory bass lick.
Analog Assassin

Post by Analog Assassin »

skyboltone wrote:
Cygnus X1 wrote:Never gave it much thought.

We're of one mind on that last bit for sure Cygnus. I've read so much garbage in the press obout Rogers being the devil and what not. I do think he "called" the show too soon, and history since 1986 certainly has prooved that point to him as well as everyone else. Firing Richard was a horrible mistake too. Count it all up to mid life crisis I say. To doubt that Roger was a supremely, no stunningly brilliant lyricist and musician really understates the case. I just don't think that he realized then that his brilliance needed the synergy of the rest of the band to come to full expression. Hence the lack of a solo carreer compared to Gilmore and the continued sucess of the band beyone the "breakup".
I guess when you think of it, being a musical genius and being a dick are not mutually exclusive. It took a certain amount of, ahem, nerve for him to think he had the RIGHT to "call" the show. But I guess it worked out in the end. Pink Floyd proved they were still Pink Floyd without Waters, and Waters proved he alone wasn't Pink Floyd. I know Gilmour had reservations about allowing Rogers to play with them for G8, and I don't remember the quote, but he acknowledged the fact that it's just not worth carrying a grudge anymore at this point in their lives. I wish they could have worked out their differences and joined creative forces to see what else they could have created.
But in the end, you just have to be thankful for the music that is there. I think of it in spiritual terms. I think art is there to remind us that there is a spiritual force in the universe, guiding us toward perfection. DSOTM, to me, is a perfect recording.
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Great post also...not to quote all of it.

Amazing how many "fans" fell off the PF bus with the releases of WYWH and Animals.
I was young, but how else could a band top DSOM and hold it all together?

So in the test of time those two albums hold a special place for me. It was my age of discovery for PF. I bought everything I could get my hands on from the sixties. Including "More" and "Atom Heart Mother". Loved those too, but in a different mood.

Man...it was so much better prior to The Wall.
Then came the radio interviews.
"First time the band held an interview since Syd Barrett had left"...etc.
I think it was David Ladd, the famous syndicated guy in the 80's.
Roger and David talked about the Wall, the foundation, the feelings, the future...and after that...it became all about the personalities.

Waters ultimately lived the Wall...he tore it down.
And revealed who that impotent schoolmaster was.
(Did I just say that? Sorry. I really don't care. Really!)

I promise to spin them and not think about it any more.
:D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Oh yeah.

When Dark Side came out it was at the height of some mind altering drug use among some of my peers ......

Also Animals.

I'll never forget the camping trip I took with a bunch of guys up in the woods.
One of the guys had a very nice car stereo, he brought four home stereo tower speakers and put them at the four corners of the camp site.
With a fire roaring along with the animals it was quite the trip. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

The campfire setting would have been the ticket for "Ummagumma".

And of course "Echoes" from Meddle for deep in the night!

EEK!

(I accidentallly hit "PM" instead of "Post Reply").