Buying Garolite from McMaster-Carr..

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Buying Garolite from McMaster-Carr..

Post by Tdale »

I had my order ready, 3 sheets of black, 12"x12" Garolite, for turret board use.

Then I get an e-mail from McMaster-Carr that due to complex export regulations, they can not ship to new customers overseas. I haven't been able to find any other supplier of the same type of Garolite elsewhere.

I need a wider board than the standard size, for the power supply, and 12"x12" would be perfect to cut the right size from.

Anyone know any other companies that sell Garolite in bigger sizes.. or are any of you interested in receiving my package, and sending it to me by mail? :)

Tommy
Norway
oldhousescott

Re: Buying Garolite from McMaster-Carr..

Post by oldhousescott »

Check with Ken at turretboards.com. I've not personally ordered from him, but have heard good reports from people who have. On his blank board page it says he will sell bulk boards and does ship overseas (from the USA).

Hope this helps...
"We put a little quality in everything we build..."
<><
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

there must be some place in europe that sells the same stuff. Those are just industrial laminates used around the world in electronics, boats, knife handles, and so on. RS components had some "Tufnol" (trade name) in different grades for example. I'm guessing the bigger vendors like Mcmaster carr, or mouser, etc. have to put in more paperwork, so it might be much easier to get it from someone small (as the vendor mentioned).
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

I went through the same situation with McMaster-Carr. I have looked around but the only suppliers I found sell it in 4'x8' sheets. That's a lot of Garolite.

In despair, I emailed McMaster sales from work to understand what was the problem since they still tell us on their web site that there is no minimum order and that they sell worldwide. I received a call from a sales rep. just a few minutes later. She asked me if it was a personal order and without really explaining me why, told me that it would work if I order through the company where I work. So I am going to give that a try.

I still do not understand why they stop selling to persons; probably to cut paperwork as mentionned before.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I'm ordering fom turretboards.com but it costs twice as much unfortunately.

I found some Tufnol, but that didn't look right...maybe it's the picture, but it looked like brittle plastic..

Tommy
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

yes I think that's what the stuff basically is--plastic. If you google you should find more than one site that has a bunch of different types listed plus their properties (in regards to strength, moisture absorption, flammability, insulation properties, how easy it is to work, etc. etc.). Garolite is probably just a trade name for glass epoxy(?) like Tufnol is for phenolic. You should find terms like NEMA XX, XXX grade, G-10, and so on for things like paper phenolic, cloth phenolic, glass epoxy, fiberglass, Teflon, etc. This sort of material comes sold as boards in various thicknesses, or round sticks, and probably other shapes as well.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I'm sure there are other suppliers. Finding one in Norway would be the easiest solution, but the problem is that it's not called garolite here....I don't know what name to search for..

Tommy
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

that's why I gave you some terms like G-10, etc. Here is some stuff that looks like pertinent info in Norwegian:

http://www.bagges.no/script/bagges/bysv ... &subkat=15

http://www.bagges.no/bagges/filer/00000 ... 10_G11.pdf

(I'm guessing here since I don't speak any Norwegian)

Isolasjonmaterialer = insulation material

Elektrisk Isolasjon = electrical insulation material?

Plater = sheets??

Bakelitt = Bakelite (phenolic)?

Papirbakelitt = paper phenolic?

Canvasbakelitt = cloth phenolic?

Glassfiber = glass epoxy?

and so on...
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Thanks! :) I guess I need to improve on my web searching skills :)

By the way, your translations are pretty accurate

tommy
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

sure no problem! :)

Norway is (of course) a rich technologically advanced country, so I'm sure you can find some place that sells board material if you look around. Good luck!
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Garolite is also called Micarta. It depends on who produce it.

I have placed an order with McMaster and I am going to see if it is going to work.

By the way, I am working for a Norwegian company and I have been there a couple of times. Norway is a very nice place; expensive though!
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Yes, I'm sure there are many places to get it... I just didn't look for the right name.

What company do you work for? And, yes, it is expencive. I'm looking forward to find out what the G10 costs at www.bagges.no

Tommy
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

I am working for Elkem. They have just one plant in Canada. http://www.elkem.com/

Good luck with your search for Garolite!
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Looks like I found it..but I won't be able to contact them until monday morning.

There is a Elkem plant close to where I live by the way.

Tommy
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I got a good deal on the garolite. I'm getting 3 sheets of 1/8" Garolite, 16" x 16" for about 70 dollars. Not bad.

Thanks Dai H

Tommy