Sax players are too serious

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Sax players are too serious

Post by skyboltone »

I better come back over here for awhile. Seems some folks just don't know how to engage in civil discourse. Where is that idiot Casey at? I know, don't end your sentences with prepositions. Besides I love the knucklehead and he can call me a moron if he wants.

Seriously, did I miss anything or are we still talking about TAD vs Winged C valves? I prefer the term tubes actually. Sexier somehow.

I haven't built a thing since I moved to Sparks from the boat. My mother's loosing her marbles. My wife lost hers completely for awhile. I now own two timber bed lathes that you could theoretically turn unlimited centers to unlimited length. What I really need is a South Bend #9a. Anybody got one for a trade?

How the heck are ya.
Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Zippy

Re: Sax players are too serious

Post by Zippy »

Whaddaya mean "sax players are too serious"? Did someone tell you that your tone sucked and you couldn't fix it by blaming it on a microphonic tube in V1? :lol:

Any plans for boating in Tahoe? Ever visit the wooder boat center?

G'luck in Sparks!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Naw, I was trying to explain some "beyond the third grade" physics and astronomy in the lounge area and things heated up a bit. And anyway, my tone don't suck. I was surprised. After a 41 year layoff on Alto I still got the lips.....for just about 10 minutes. Then it sounds like a wet diaper.

When the Hatteras goes it gets replaced by a Harley and an airplane. Boys will be boys!

Dan
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Good to see you're back Dan.
My mother is in the same boat, so to speak.

Early stages of Alzheimer's. Her short term memory is gone.

Probably within a year she won't know who I am.

Lucky me, I have that crap on both sides of the family.

Keep the faith bro! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Structo wrote:Good to see you're back Dan.
My mother is in the same boat, so to speak.

Early stages of Alzheimer's. Her short term memory is gone.

Probably within a year she won't know who I am.

Lucky me, I have that crap on both sides of the family.

Keep the faith bro! :D
It's not funny of course. Sad. But I can't help getting a kick out of some of the places her mind takes her.

She's sitting at the kitchen table and I'm trying to help her understand what her pills are for. She picks up Hydrocodone, (rheumatoid) "Hi-drow-con-don" she says, " what's this one for?" "Pain" I tell her. "Good, I need that" she says, then she picks up the Aricept, "What's this one for" "It's called Aricept" I say, "it helps with your memory". "What's wrong with my memory?" she asks. "Well", I say, "it's just to make sure you keep it as long as possible". "OK". Then she picks up the Hydrocodone again. "Hi-dro-co-don". what's this one for?

And on and on. Ask her something about her or my childhood though and she's still pretty sharp. Makes some stuff up and repeats things she's told me hours before but still I try as best I can to keep her in the past. She likes it better. Kinda freaks out when she can't figure out what's what. I got her put on Cymbalta which has helped both with the pain and with the freaki outs. If your mom isn't on an SRI you may want to talk to her doc.

I told my wife when I get there just put on Pink Floyd on a loop, hang a bib around my neck and use me as a door stop.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Its heart breaking, interactions and memories become precious.

When I was around 12-13, my great grandfather finally had to go to a "home"
I was left to keep him company and visit at one of the entrances, he didn't
say a word, and whats a little puke supposed to say to someone 8 x as old as
you are. So we're sitting there, and he rips a huge fart, put a big grin on
both our faces.

My mother in-law is having difficulties, my turn to provide care too, a measure
of dignity. At home so far, putting up the meds, meals, appointments, wheel chair ramp.

Do best you can.
lazymaryamps
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

Alzheimer's runs in my family too, and it's something I worry about now and than; but so does flatulence so I guess we'll be OK if the time comes.

A couple of months ago I picked up an old South Bend (and boy are my arms tired) when my wife's Great Uncle passed away. No one in the family had a use for it, but they didn't want to just unload the thing because they all had such fond memories of him behind the tool rest of that beast.

So It sits in my garage, still in pieces, gotta get that thing together one of these days - but the lathe never really called to me. If it didn't bear significance I'd box er up and FedEx it to ya.
Oo De Lally
Structo

Post by Structo »

My God Dan!

You just described my mother!

Yes it can be humorous sometimes.
One time me and my other two sibs were working on moms house to get it ready to sell.

We sat mom down in a chair in the corner of the living room.

When we were ready to leave my sister said, OK mom, we'll see you later.
Mom replied, OK bye!

Trouble is, she doesn't live there anymore and has lived at a retirement center for over a year. :lol:
(yes we did take her home :wink: )

I think within a years time she will have to go to assisted living.
I wish we could have her live with us but it just wouldn't work with our work schedules. That is if I ever get back to work.
Friggin recession is killing me. :x
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

What's the difference between a Saxophone and a chain sax....?

You can tune a chain saw. :lol:

I don't know why the heading is abot sax players, but good on you for picking up the sax again. I laid off of tenor sax for about 20 years. Picked it back up and added alto and soprano as well. Loving it but still playing in the band as a guitar player. I haven't actually played much sax in a band since the 60's. Yep, I make it though about 2-3 songs before the duck farts start coming out and my lip is so weak I can't get another Jack and coke to go down without dribbling down my shirt.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Bob-I wrote:What's the difference between a Saxophone and a chain sax....?

You can tune a chain saw. :lol:

I don't know why the heading is abot sax players,
(from the oil spill days in Valdez) What's the difference between a oily sea otter and a chain saw? One's got fur and the other has an off switch.

I didn't make the sax connection too clear did I. I've been hanging for a few weeks over at Saxontheweb.net . I think most of those guy lack the general sense of "Who gives a shit" that we've developed around here. Some of them even have feelings. They'll get over it. Good to hear from you Bob, you still playin' the 4 6V6 monster"
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I hung out on saxontheweb for awhile too, but I didn't find much value so I just haven't visited in years.

Yes, the 4x6V6 is still alive and kicking. It's at the rehearsal room right now.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

dano-rator wrote:but so does flatulence so I guess we'll be OK if the time comes.

dano-rator wrote:So It sits in my garage, still in pieces, gotta get that thing together one of these days - but the lathe never really called to me. If it didn't bear significance I'd box er up and FedEx it to ya.
That's good about the flatulence. Glad to hear it. I was standing at the urinal at the Cinema one afternoon and ripped one. A fellow down the line followed suit. Then several others chimed in. Then one of the guys finished up, zipped up and said "Nice chattin' with y'all" Made my day.

About the lathe, if it gets to the point where family forgets where it went and you just don't have the room any more; let me know. I'll give it a good home. In the mean time, think about the kool knobs you can make for 5 times what you can buy them for.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Sparks, NV :!: :!: :shock:
I guess it took a while to get your land legs back after livin' on the Bay.
What rocks you to sleep in Sparks :?:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

drhulsey wrote:Sparks, NV :!: :!: :shock:
I guess it took a while to get your land legs back after livin' on the Bay.
What rocks you to sleep in Sparks :?:
The answer to that question would be a private matter :lol: Anyhow, the boat is for sale and you're just the buyer I need. You could keep it on the Ten Tom eh?

In the meantime, high desert life is good most of the time. Cool evenings now and high 60s days. I got a million projects but still have most of my "stuff" back in South City. Anyway, playing a little sax now and then, assembleing a kickass set of shop tools so I can get back in the amp game popping out cabinets quicker and lighter. Anyhow. so there you go.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

skyboltone wrote: ... the boat is for sale and you're just the buyer I need...
Thanks for the offer, but divorce is out of the question :!:
skyboltone wrote: ... Cool evenings now and high 60s days...
37 degrees this AM, 67 today, but I'm still here in the Bluegrass.
skyboltone wrote: Anyway, playing a little sax now and then...
I used to play tenor sax on a few numbers for our old garage band at age 16.
We have a sax player now that is one of the best musicians I've ever heard. Needless to say, I can't get a reed in edgewise :?
He didn't know if he wanted to play with us, at first– he was a "jazz" guy :roll:
We offered him $300 a gig and he said, "LET'S ROCK'N'ROLL :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: "
skyboltone wrote: ...assembleing a kickass set of shop tools...
I guess you don't miss the old trailer :?: :D

Listen closely :idea: I here the ski slopes calling :wink:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!