Fender bassman 100 silverface, transformer orginal or not ??

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lot_tt

Fender bassman 100 silverface, transformer orginal or not ??

Post by lot_tt »

Hello,
I have doubts about my amp and i need somebody to tell me is input transformer which i have got in my amp is original or not, please help. And if it's not please tell me something about it if anybody have some knowledge about those ones. This is an european version of the amp. Thank you for help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Firestorm

Re: Fender bassman 100 silverface, transformer orginal or not ??

Post by Firestorm »

Looks like nothing Fender ever used, but can't tell more from that pic.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Fender from the 70's with export trannies were made by schemacher just like the US amps. They were thicker and had taps for the European voltages and a typically red voltage selector on the back panel.

The transformer on the left is a 70's 2-6L6 export power, the one on the right should be the same OT as the one in your Bassman 100.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
lot_tt

Post by lot_tt »

To be honest personally i think i had to be changed because of extra holes inside of the chasis (on the pic.). But i start to think that it might be an orginal only because there was person who told me he saw same amp with the same transformer and i am curious cause i want to sell this amp and for somebody who want to buy it is important, for me it is nothing else like less money in my pocket. Tell me what do you think.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Definitely not the stock PT.
dreric

Post by dreric »

lot_tt wrote:To be honest personally i think i had to be changed because of extra holes inside of the chasis (on the pic.). But i start to think that it might be an orginal only because there was person who told me he saw same amp with the same transformer and i am curious cause i want to sell this amp and for somebody who want to buy it is important, for me it is nothing else like less money in my pocket. Tell me what do you think.
I think, and sorry to be blunt:

1. PT is not stock, and most likely old eastern block weridness.
2. Bias board, rectifier board, and that whole mess with the terminal strips are not stock, Mods, why?
3. Whoever was in that amp was sloppy and unprofessional in their workmanship.
4. The PT and workmanship seriously reduce the value of the amp.

Does the amp work? Does it sound good? Where are you and what is your wall voltage?
Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Here's what it should look like:
Eric
lot_tt

Post by lot_tt »

The amp works well i've changed all valves and sound really good, exept a little noise or buzz comes from the input trans. I bought this amp in Scotland, UK. Since than i have just changed valves. My wall woltage is 230. If not this little noise it would no difference with orginal. Let me ask you dreric have you got an spare fender trans for my amp, maybe??
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Hard to tell, but doesn't that look like a Partridge transformer?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I didn't even notice the terminal strips before. Maybe this is one of those fake Fenders sold in Vietnam during the 70's :)
dreric

Post by dreric »

lot_tt wrote:The amp works well i've changed all valves and sound really good, exept a little noise or buzz comes from the input trans. I bought this amp in Scotland, UK. Since than i have just changed valves. My wall woltage is 230. If not this little noise it would no difference with orginal. Let me ask you dreric have you got an spare fender trans for my amp, maybe??
Sorry but no on the transformer. I'd get a replacement PT from Magnetic Components, gut the amp and have a great time making something very cool. Do you play guitar or bass?
Eric
lot_tt

Post by lot_tt »

I play the electric guitar, the first thing i bought was bassman cabinet (pyramid) and than i got bandmaster with reverb and tremolo and i love this amp still have it and it's my the best one i think. Then i thought to buy a bassman head to have a set and now i am a little bit cross with it, what to say "life". Actually i think for somebody who want to buy it the worsest think is PT, the rest is fine exept maybe 6 parts, not that bad.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Will all that real estate there it begs to be modded into something else.

I've got a Bassman 100 chassis at the moment and the idea of putting reverb in it is appealing.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

Six month old thread, I know, but I am doing the same with my Bassman 100 SF. The original fiber boards are too warped to use so I made some new boards to stock layouts. Now since there are so many options and parts available I'm building a new main board to AB763 specs. Then today I thought about possibly building one half AB763 (no trem) and the other half something like a Plexi (I know, it's close to the Fender design) and see what the sound differences are like.

The point is, there is plenty of room in that chassis as was mentioned and it's just begging to be modified.