Vintage Style Deluxe Reverb Build in a Reissue Chassis

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Vintage Style Deluxe Reverb Build in a Reissue Chassis

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello,
I posted awhile back about an Alessandro rebuilt Deluxe reissue that had an oscillation issue with the reverb. I did some work on the amp that made it better and mentioned to the customer that I would have done it a little differently if I had built it. Well he sold the amp and hired me to do it my way and the photo is the result. Amp sounds great and sounds very close to the vintage 1966 Deluxe Reverb I used as a guide.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sunnydaze

Re: Vintage Style Deluxe Reverb Build in a Reissue Chassis

Post by sunnydaze »

Nice work!

The deluxe reverb is one of my favorites.

Thanks for posting.

Mike
Sunnydaze
blue_dog

Post by blue_dog »

Nice work, I have a deluxe reverb myself one of my favorites as well. What kind of capacitors and transformers did you use? Any more pictures?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Very nice indeed, thanks for posting! Do you have any more pictures, of the inside back panel and the power section, perhaps? These would make for a very useful guide.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Very, very nice! 8)
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks guys! I used CDE brown drops for coupling. I purchased a bunch of different values on Ebay for $20! That bag of caps is moving from my customer repair supply to personal stash area. :) I noticed on the layout for the early deluxe that the mid cap was a .033 although I have been inside at least a hundred blackface deluxes and never seen that value. I didn't have .047 for the mid caps so I used .039 and was pleasantly surprised. Also, I am pretty die hard ceramic disc guy but I spent a bit extra on the CDE mica caps and was also very pleased. Resistors are all Allen Bradley NOS measured to 5% or less. The transformers are all Mercury Magnetics and they sound really great. Not quite as much high end stuff going on as Schumachers but nice and round and punchy. One thing about the reissue chassis is that it is not as deep as a vintage one. This means there is less room under the pots to route wires. I had to route the vibrato bunch further down the line than Fender did originally. However there is not tick tick with the vibrato engaged so I am thinking it is a good thing to keep those wires away from the reverb and tone stack wires. I am making sure everything is good with amp powered up, actually I am just sitting here enjoying playing through it. I will pull the chassis shortly and post some more photos. I did have to get a little creative wiring the AC section.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

More photos.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Beautiful job Charlie. Lots of eye candy in there.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Colossal. OK guys now I need some help. I tested the vibrato/Reverb footswitch and it pops very loudly when the vibrato is engaged. I am using the reissue stereo jack witch is shared by the reverb and vibrato. I noticed on the reissue schematic there some additional components added to the vibrato circuit. I looked at some photos of the Alessandro version and he doesn't seem to have added anything to the circuit for popping. Any ideas?
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Possible simple pop fix here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 57#255e257

Thanks for the pictures!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Beautiful!!! Nice work Charlie!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Deric

Post by Deric »

If it's the Vibrato switch making a popping sound only when the Reverb is on, I've had good luck placing a 5uf cap across the Vibrato switch.
Deric®
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Deric. That is exactly what is happening. I notice part of the reissue added components is a 4.7uf to ground. I will give it a try.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Well I think that solved it. There is still a little snap when the switch is engaged but it is the same as when you step on a vintage footswitch with a vintage amp. Interesting, with the 47k(Fender uses 10k) resistor in series to the switch(Martins link) and the bypass 5uf cap it is the same as the reissue added parts less the 390k to ground.
CW
Coyotesgator

Post by Coyotesgator »

Well done.
What Happened?

Who let the magic smoke out?