Using Dual Showman Reverb head for a Tweed clone

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jakehook

Using Dual Showman Reverb head for a Tweed clone

Post by jakehook »

Deciding I no longer need the 100W of four 6l6's and no longer want the tremolo and reverb I'm considering using the chassis, transformers, choke etc and two of the 6L6GC's in a simpler amp for home use only.

My only speaker cab now, however, has one 15W Alnico Blue so output will usually be through a Marshall Power Brake attenuator.

I want some break up into crunch if possible so which of the earlier designs of phase inverter, paraphase or cathodyne would be more suitable than a LTP?

Also I have two KT66's available.

I would appreciate any suggestions for Fender or other schematics.
Stevem

Re: Using Dual Showman Reverb head for a Tweed clone

Post by Stevem »

Running only 2 of the outout tubes on that outout transformer will be the wrong impeadance for these 6L6 tubes and the fact that your only powering 2 outout tubes instead of 4 and not using other preamp tubes means the power supply will be less loaded and the amp will even be cleaner then before.

I would sell the amp as is and put those funds into a Mojotone tweed kit or such!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

Another consequence of a seriously underloaded PT is that the heater voltages would probably be too high and result in short tube life. You could do a high power tweed twin but it would still be 80 watts. I did one with 100w Peavey iron and it sounded glorious and very different than any AB763 circuit. It was however stupidly loud. If you want tweed compressed crunch best to start with a smaller OT that can be saturated.
jakehook

Post by jakehook »

Thanks for your comments.

My 8R speaker should suit the Fender 4R OT when using just two 6l6's

I'm keeping the head and will use it for trials with other Fender and other amp circuits.
The Fender 5D8 schematic is a first lower power approach, changing to cathode biasing the 6l6's and using a paraphase PI.