Any love for the 6G15 stand alone reverb?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Any love for the 6G15 stand alone reverb?

Post by Mark »

This is one of those things that I have thought I'd like to build, then I start thinking, just buy a reverb pedal they are smaller and cheaper.

What is the general consensus?

Any mods that make them better?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
sluckey

Re: Any love for the 6G15 stand alone reverb?

Post by sluckey »

It's the best sounding spring reverb I've heard. A major mod is to add 6G12 harmonic vibrato and call it a Revibe. Hoffman has a kit on his website. Here's my version...

http://sluckeyamps.com/revibe/revibe.htm
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the reply and the link, I remember that circuit, it used the harmonic tremolo from the 6G(X) amps. The Strymon Flint does this sort of thing, though I have never tried either.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've always wanted to build one of these revibe but have not been able to get a chassis here in the UK. I love spring verb and Vibrato/Trem.

For me I don't have the tools to make a chassis so I need one that's ready made or close. I can drill and exctra hole or 2 :D

I have a strymon flint for this purpose :D

M
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

I’ve also wondered too. Every YouTube video demo I’ve watched always puts too much reverb on, when demoing.I get sea sick

Can you get the 6g15 to have subtle reverb? I have reverb on my vibroverb I built and always have it on 2.
I like the slap back sound.
Can the 6g15 do this?

I would love to have a reverb sound for my Rocket and AC30 I built.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The 6G15 with the 9AB3C1B tank has a much fuller and more refined sound than the standard Fender AB763 reverb. Of course it can do over the top surf verb, but the dwell, tone, and mix controls give you full control. You can dial it back as subtle as you want. And when you add the 6G12 harmonic vibrato (not a true vibrato) you have the ultimate Fender effects in one box. The reverb unit or revibe are not an expensive build, especially if you cheap out on a cab like I did. :D Well worth the price. Weber has a full kit for the reverb unit and the revibe.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for the explanation Steve.
I already have everything, except a reverb tank. I like the way you did yours. I will probably do it the same, I like the naked look a lot.
Mark

Post by Mark »

There were a few mods around for the reissue reverb units, thought they don't seem to be about anymore. I had tried the reissue 6G15 reverb units and they were brighter than a vintage unit that was on hand.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Mark wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:54 pm There were a few mods around for the reissue reverb units, thought they don't seem to be about anymore. I had tried the reissue 6G15 reverb units and they were brighter than a vintage unit that was on hand.
Mark,

Do you have any information on mods?
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

Weber's revibe kit is good stock, highly recommend using a buss bar for grounding.

Steve's mods make is much better IMO. Clarity is improved especially in the high end and the voltage divider fix improves the unity gain at output.

Not a hard build, most annoying part is jamming everything in the vintage sized chassis but if you've built a tweed circuit you're used to it. Do it!
katopan

Post by katopan »

Building one of these has been on the list for a while. Really want to get to it someday! So yes there's some love. Really like the idea of the Revibe instead of just the 'verb.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Mark wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm http://wiki.surfguitar101.com/ReverbFaq
Excellent, thanks for that link, Mark.
ES350

Post by ES350 »

The reissue is not even close to the good 6G15s. No contest. I've had about a 1/2 dozen vintage ones and some were good and some just didn't have it.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

sluckey wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:12 pm It's the best sounding spring reverb I've heard. A major mod is to add 6G12 harmonic vibrato and call it a Revibe. Hoffman has a kit on his website. Here's my version...

http://sluckeyamps.com/revibe/revibe.htm
I agree! Best reverb! I turn the reverb knob on my ab763 deluxe clone off and use the 6g15 because it is sounds so much better to me.