Mojotone kit - customising it

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

alfi27

Mojotone kit - customising it

Post by alfi27 »

Hey fellas,

After repairing a Princeton Reverb clone (Headstrong Lil' King to be exact) I got a bit hooked, and I really want to build a Blackface Fender from a kit. I love the simplicity of the Princeton, I don't really care for the dual channel setup of its big brothers but it's really difficult to avoid it without going custom - I guess I could make it an EF86 channel or something. A little more headroom than the Princeton wouldn't hurt either, only problem is that I'm not quite sure how much I need. For me Fender is pretty much synonymous with great clean tones, but I must say I was enjoying the driven tones of the Princeton as well so I don't want a Twin. I'm a huge fan of Stevie Ray Vaughan, his tone on Lenny is quite possibly the best clean tone I have ever heard which brings us to the next paragraph.

Although I'm leaning towards a Super Reverb at the moment, the Deluxe Reverb isn't completely off the table. The problem with the SR is that if I build it as a combo, it's only available as a 4x10 - which is too big, and I'm not a fan of 10" speakers. 1x12 or 2x12 is where it's at for me, so what I'm thinking is: what if I got a Twin Reverb kit, replaced the output transformer (and possibly power transformer) and installed 4x 6V6 tubes - or 2x 6L6. Wouldn't that essentially be a 2x12 Super Reverb? The other option is of course to build a Super Reverb head and use a separate cab, which would be a tad more flexible as well - but also quite a bit more expensive. It's an amp I don't really imagine using outside of my home studio, you never know of course but I seriously doubt it. I'm running 50 and 100w Marshall esque amps with 4x12s in the same room at a healthy volume, the Super Reverb might be pushing it when running it flat out but it should be fine.

Sorry for burying the question in the middle of the paragraph, I put it in bold letters in case you don't want to read the whole thing. Any comments or advice at all would be massively appreciated, cheers!
73GTV

Re: Mojotone kit - customising it

Post by 73GTV »

Kit?

Man, Build your own dream amp!

Example:
eBay item number:

Here is a Band Master chassis (Sort of) with front and back plates that you can start out with and where you end up is your own choosing.

Four 6V6's you say!! Humm! Look at the other chassis plus that they supply and pick your own direction.

I wanted something different so I looked at the Band Master 5E7, (Not for that chassis) but 2.7 Ohm output transformer from Classic tone, or a few other sources that someone else can suggest, rated for three 8 Ohm speakers, sounds like it will make someone take notice other than your neighbors.

Four inputs two each volume controls, one treble Bass and Presence

The bare board is less than $7.00 dollars from Antique electronic supply and you can add up the parts required before you purchase that ...Kit!!

(Don't listen to me, I'm usually that Guy dressed in Red on one's left shoulder!!)

(Note still assembling, wanted an excuse to post this almost completed board.)

Now it is finished...