Trying to get this ground thing

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Randall

Trying to get this ground thing

Post by Randall »

I am nearing completion on my first 5E3 build. The one thing holding me up is the grounding scheme. I've read a lot of opinions here and elsewhere about separating input and output grounds in various ways. I decided to go with separating the filter cap grounds and running separate ground wires from B+ filter, screen supply filter, and output cathode to a PT stud. This is also where power and filament CTs are connected. Then I thought i would try running the pre-amp plate filter over to the pre-amp ground bus, which I had intended to employ the copper wire trick, and connect the pre cathodes and pots to it. Trouble is I don't see the best way to accomplish this. I think I understand this bus gets grounded close to the input jacks, and it seems like the easiest way would be to connect to one of the open ground lugs on a jack. But jacks get loose, and since it would now be supporting plate and cathode grounds, that just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

And I'm not sure I'm liking the copper wire bus as much as I once did. Seems a bit clunky and wobbly, which also seems like a good place for failure should it move too much. So I wonder about running separate solid core ground wires all to the same point and maybe drill a new hole close to the inputs and ground there.

And then I got a close look at a $2,000 Clark Beaufort and as far as I could tell he just soldered grounds straight to frame right where they stood just like the original, and that amp sounds great.

What says you?
Last edited by Randall on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Re: Trying to get this ground thing

Post by xtian »

Randall wrote:So I wonder about running separate solid core ground wires all to the same point and maybe drill a new hole close to the inputs and ground there.
This is fine. It is a good idea to ground to a bolt attached to the chassis.
Randall wrote:And then I got a close look at a $2,000 Clark Beaufort and as far as I could tell he just soldered grounds straight to frame right where they stood just like the original, and that amp sounds great.
This is the benefit of building a production model. You get to try again and again, see what works best, and what's just good enough, and you end up with a nice quiet design that may or may not obey all the best practices!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Super_Reverb

Re: Trying to get this ground thing

Post by Super_Reverb »

There are many grounds schemes out there. My last build used a 12guage copper wire for preamp/pots/input jack ground. That ground, together with output cathodes, speaker gnd, reservoir gnd caps, screen caps, and PT center taps are connected to a centrally located chassis bolt. I solder lugs to each ground wire and bolt them down tight with washers in between and a locknut (OCD? maybe)

IMO, it is important to connect input jack to preamp ground, isolated from chassis (Marshall syle Cliff or other).

A good ground methodology is more than building one amp that has low noise. A good grounding methodology includes a technical understanding of your scheme and the pitfalls it avoids, such as ground loops, filter cap current in pre-amp etc. If you don't understand how and why your ground scheme works, you won't be able to troubleshoot your builds when it *doesn't* work. Not meaning to lecture here, but grounding is key to tube amps and all analog circuits in general.

Merlin Blencowe has a good description of his methodology here:

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

cheers, rob