How about a 5E3 Deluxe, Princeton Reverb and 57 Bassman?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

printer2

How about a 5E3 Deluxe, Princeton Reverb and 57 Bassman?

Post by printer2 »

Have my latest amp built and am just tweaking, already thinking about the next one. Actually a few on my mind but this is the one I am unsure of. I was planing on making a 6V6 Bassman, looked at the circuit and thought without too much trouble I could get a Tweed Deluxe with an added 12AX7 and a handful of parts. Was going to have it just output cathode biased to keep it simple with just one switch to go between the two but looking at the power supply voltages I thought it would be best to run the 5E3 at a lower voltage and the 'Bassman' higher, more in line with the actual amps rather than run at a intermediate voltage. So two switches, not a big deal. Might even be able to go fixed bias for the Bassman, I haven't fully worked out the power supply and bias circuit yet.

I looked at the schematics of the two amps to get the voltages, the Bassman being a 6L6 amp had higher voltages than needed for 6V6's so I took a look at the Deluxe reverb for guidance. Then I got to thinking (always a dangerous thing) since I will be using two switches to go between amps I wondered what I would get with the output at a higher voltage and fixed bias but with the 5E3 input and phase inverter. Taking it one step further, what if I had a three position switch (rather than the first two position) and I stick a BF tone stack in between the 5E3 input gain stages which are now in series? Lost anyone yet?

Other than the input tube being a 12AY7 I pretty much have a Princeton Reverb. Started drawing it up and it seems feasible, the question though is whether it would be worth while? It will probably be as complicated an amp that I could make. I know the 5E3 and the Bassman circuits will sound different but would the Princeton give me much more than if I just added reverb to the Bassman? I don't know. I could do a prototype with just the two and try it I guess.

I think this is mostly correct. Left out the reverb circuitry (actually haven't done it yet), makes the schematic look less busy. So I have a 6 pole 3 position rotary switch (SW1) that does the majority of the switching. SW2 does the voltage dropping for the 5E3 and shorts out the NFB that the Princeton would have. Of course would have to adjust some resistors to taste.

So in case the above does not complexly make sense, a Tweed Deluxe, a Princeton Reverb (with the lower gain 12AY7 instead of a 12AX7), and a 6V6 powered 57 Bassman. Or just the 5E3 and the 5F6a with reverb? Or have I already lost it?

[img:1024:638]http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp14 ... 1cfc9c.jpg[/img]
Last edited by printer2 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
overtone

Re: How about a 5E3 Deluxe, Princeton Reverb and 57 Bassman?

Post by overtone »

Printer 2,
I'm not a fan of switches. You make me dizzy, 3 questions:
  • 1. Your NFB resistors are acting in parallel all the time between the two genres, is that intended re. the presence?
    2. There is something funky about your linked volumes on the tweed side - isn't wiper linked to wiper just a little bit too much interaction?
    3. You do know that you should really be getting out more?
:-) t
printer2

Post by printer2 »

The I'll look at the NFB, as far as I can see it is ok. If running in cathode bias while switched to Bassman there is just a 2.7k resistor across the speaker output. If fixed bias the load on the output is the 2.7k + 49R, still no problem. When in 5E3, the switch is open as we want cathode bias. Deciding to run 5E3 with fixed bias still puts the output voltage across the NFB resistors and the 49R one gets its share of the signal.

The voltage divider on the Bassman side does have the presence control which at full turn shorts the highs at the base of the LTP, at the other side of the NFB resistor you still get the full signal from the output as the NFB resistor isolated the effect of the presence control. It is being fed by a low impedance, the OT secondary, so there should be no interaction between the NFB loops.

Good thing you noticed the volumes, repositioning the parts to shrink the picture size I missed shortening the one line. I will fix the schematic. Thanks for reviewing the schematic. After seeing it for so long you sometimes see what you want to see and miss stuff.

Should I get out more often? You would not believe how often I ask myself the same question.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Nah, getting out of the house is severely overrated.

I like your concept schem!!
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Printer , very cool design.
I've been wrestling with a 6V6 bassman/JTM for a week now, (I've built a few now and I always end up ripping them apart), as I couldn't keep the low end from distorting in such a flabtasic fashion while retaining the rest of the response, when cranked...especially with paralleled inputs....That tonestack rocks for 6V6s and this circuit! Just wanted to say thanks -J
printer2

Post by printer2 »

I would say I can't wait to get to it but it is summer here and I have a limited time to make guitars, so this amp will be waiting till the snow flies. The sawdust is flying in the mean time. I did lay out about a quarter of it on paper, it looks doable. I doubt there will be no shortage of shielded wire though. With so many signals converging into one small space I am thinking I may need all the help I can get making sure it stays stable. Already made some changes to the schematic to simplify the switching but generally the circuits will remain the same.