Cabinet Woes

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lpd

Cabinet Woes

Post by lpd »

i have an early 60s Brown Deluxe that David Root replaced the pt for me as it had been blown years ago. The amp sounds amazing but has a speaker vibration on the low notes. I tried tightening the speaker but to no avail. If I put my hand on the cone during the vibration disappears. Any ideas? I love the amp but the vibration drives me nuts :)
Stevem

Re: Cabinet Woes

Post by Stevem »

The speaker is gone just to age likely, things like the cone dry rotting and the type of glue the used back than to hold the voice coil to the cone just give up and crumble!
Its time to spend 50 bucks before shipping and get it re-coned!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
lpd

Post by lpd »

Bummer but I'm sure a recone will get it close. Unless someone can recommend a good replacement?
rp

Post by rp »

You might just as well get it reconed as close as you can at least it'll look right and integral. There are good speakers out there, too many, too much clutter actually, but none are exactly the same as the old ones, most are just too efficient, so pick your dissatisfaction: a recone that's fine but not the same, or replacement that's fine but not the same.

BTW saw this, more clutter, but cheap enough and maybe fun to try? Not sure what voice coil size the orig had and if you care about trying to stay close to vintage tone. The 6G3 screams, bet a Celestion greenback or G12h30 kills in there.

https://wgs4.com/12-g12q-20-watts
lpd

Post by lpd »

rp wrote:You might just as well get it reconed as close as you can at least it'll look right and integral. There are good speakers out there, too many, too much clutter actually, but none are exactly the same as the old ones, most are just too efficient, so pick your dissatisfaction: a recone that's fine but not the same, or replacement that's fine but not the same.

BTW saw this, more clutter, but cheap enough and maybe fun to try? Not sure what voice coil size the orig had and if you care about trying to stay close to vintage tone. The 6G3 screams, bet a Celestion greenback or G12h30 kills in there.

https://wgs4.com/12-g12q-20-watts
Yeah. It won't be the same after a recone. Right now I'm running the amp into a 212 with 69' 55hz Celestions with decent results. The cleans are great but crunch is a little dark for my tastes. The original had altitude more top end on the crunch.
TimmyP1955

Post by TimmyP1955 »

Could be cone and/or spyder sag. Rotate the speaker 180 degrees.
brentm

Post by brentm »

Are you sure it's not the speaker baffle board rattling?
lpd

Post by lpd »

brentm wrote:Are you sure it's not the speaker baffle board rattling?
Speaker removed from the baffle and placed on a floor flat still buzzes on bass notes. Baffle is tight and good contact.

Ok not the amp. Plugged speaker in a Vox AC15 and she rattles with bass notes. Comes is stiff but in a brittle kinda way. I think she's toast and needs a recone. On a positive I plugged the amp into my Ampeg V4 loaded with 68 pre rola 55hz speakers and it ripped big time. I kept it quick as the cab is wired 4 ohms and the opt on the deluxe is 8 :)

If anyone has a good replacement idea until inget a recone I'm all ears
RWood

Post by RWood »

I don't have a brown but my 5e3 sounds way better with WGS Blackhawk than any of the 6 or so others I've tried.
There's a shootout video on you tube which shows the same result I got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPw9ssxBuyg
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

lpd wrote:
brentm wrote:Are you sure it's not the speaker baffle board rattling?
Speaker removed from the baffle and placed on a floor flat still buzzes on bass notes. Baffle is tight and good contact.

Ok not the amp. Plugged speaker in a Vox AC15 and she rattles with bass notes. Comes is stiff but in a brittle kinda way. I think she's toast and needs a recone. On a positive I plugged the amp into my Ampeg V4 loaded with 68 pre rola 55hz speakers and it ripped big time. I kept it quick as the cab is wired 4 ohms and the opt on the deluxe is 8 :)

If anyone has a good replacement idea until inget a recone I'm all ears
A really good recone shop may be able to re glue loose joints without having to do a full recone. Our local recone man avoids the full - expensive - process unless it's really necessary. If that sounds like a good idea PM me & I'll get you his contact info.

I'm a fan of Jensen's cheap MOD speakers. With a brownie Deluxe you could get along with the 35 watt model, about as inexpensive new speaker as you'll find anywhere. For a bit crisper sound, their C12Q hits my ears just about right too.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Smitty

I'm with Leonardo

Post by Smitty »

I agree with Leo. Try to have it 'fixed'. If the cone/spider/frame has shifted then sometimes a good reconer can unglue and reglue the spider to compensate.

If it's cone cry you can try adding some doping to the surround.

If you go the full recone route remember that the material used in voice coil formers makes a big difference in top end tone.

I really like the Jensen MOD 12/110 with a 2" nomex voice coil former. Does clean and OD in an open back cab better than most speakers.

Hope this helps.