5F1M Champ Micro Amp

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

robrob

5F1M Champ Micro Amp

Post by robrob »

Why a 5F1M Champ Micro amplifier? Because a real Champ puts out around 5 watts with it's single-ended 6V6. The Champ Micro will put out an amazing 0.75 watts of beautiful clean tweed and max out at around 1.3 watts fully distorted so it should make a good practice amp.

The Champ Micro is a very simple, two 12A*7 tube design that combines the 5F1 Champ's preamp with the proven single-ended dual parallel triode power tube from the Deluxe Micro. The optional V1A bypass cap runs through the "Boost Switch."

I haven't built one yet but I know it's going to sound sweet. I'll work on the prototype when I get the Bassman Micro completed.

[img:1200:971]http://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/C ... _small.png[/img]

[img:1200:847]http://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/C ... _small.png[/img]
Structo

Re: 5F1M Champ Micro Amp

Post by Structo »

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing. :D

Have you posted about the micro bassman?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
robrob

Post by robrob »

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

I built that exact same amp (pretty dang close - mine had a tone pot instead of master volume) a few years back for a friend.

I really disliked the fizzy distortion tone, and tried just about everything to get rid of it, but eventually gave up and decided with some other forum memebers in another thread that using a 12AU7 as a power tube was going to sound fizzy no matter what.

I find the best way to get a micro sounding amp is to build a standard 6V6 based Champ or Princeton and use a simple VVR to drop it down to modest volume. No fizz when going that route :)
katopan

Post by katopan »

I'm with Milkmansound. Like what you're doing Rob but triodes vs. pentodes..... ah we don't have a vomit smiley here, so you'll have to imagine one. I did a lot with 12AU7 and then 6SN7 in push-pull years ago. Ended up going submini pentode to get my 2W micro amp build I was happy with. Back then that seemed the only way, but now there are other options in 'normal' sized valves.
robrob

Post by robrob »

I agree that a pentode power tube would be preferred but the very nice sounding and strong selling H&K Tubemeister 5 uses a 12BH7 power tube. I and two other builders are very happy with the clean and overdrive tone of the Deluxe Micro practice amp.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Have you posted clips of any of the Micro builds?
robrob

Post by robrob »

sliberty wrote:Have you posted clips of any of the Micro builds?
Not yet but a guy that built a Deluxe Micro says he'll post some clips shortly, hopefully today.