Fendery amp built for Jimmy Fortune

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rfgordon

Fendery amp built for Jimmy Fortune

Post by rfgordon »

Here's my latest Fendery reverb amp. I call the small ones built into PR chassis Americana. The bigger ones, built into BF Bassman chassis, are California.

The Chassis if from Mojotone (I confess I am annoyed that they took out the bright switch holes from this batch of chassis without announcing such on the website.) The PT/OT combo are OEM Blues Jr set. But I prefer chokes to resistor in my PS.

I use a 25K mid pot to give it more mid boost and gain. On the California, which is wired to take EL34s if desired, I use a 50k for even more mid range madness.

The pot on the back near the verb jacks is a 100 Ohm 2 watt pot in series with the send to the verb tank. This allows you to dial back the splash on the attack of the verb.

Most of the component values are straight up Fender, with the exception of the EL84 power tubes.

I don't have the face plate yet, but I'll update with that later when I get it. I will put it into a cypress cab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
rfgordon

Re: Fendery amp built for Jimmy Fortune

Post by rfgordon »

I got and installed the faceplate and logo this week, so the amp is finished and ready to deliver.

The cab is cypress with dovetailed corner joinery. I used Dutch oil on the finish. I started with a medium walnut, working in the first coat with 400 grit paper. Subsequent coats were natural, worked in with OOOO steel wool. I like to get a super smooth finish that doesn't look glazed.

The grill cloth came from an early 60s Magnavox console stereo--an odd upright version that had a 2x12 speaker arrangement. In certain light you can see the faded areas over where the speakers were. But, since it's a grill cloth that can't be had anymore, I think it helps give the amp a more vintage look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich Gordon

rooster

Post by rooster »

rf, looks nice. Um, on that 100 ohm pot in series with the tank input - does this actually do anything?
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Yes, it helps control the splash on the initial note attack on the reverb. I especially helps as the amp's preamp gain is turned up. In a Fender style circuit, this increases the signal on the tank, which this control counters.
Rich Gordon