6G6-B Bassman On The Bench

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Re: 6G6-B Bassman On The Bench

Post by Blackburn »

I appreciate the concern, fellas, but all is well. The parts arrived Thursday and I got everything in order. The controls function flawlessly and I didn't even bother with the cleaner. All the blue molds seem to be fine as well with regard to leakage. I also got the stapler out and fixed up the tolex a bit where needed. The amp sounds great through my 2x12 with EVs. A really fantastic sounding clean amp. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Out of interest has yours got a 12AX7 in the PI as original or has it been changed out for a 12AT7 like the later amps? Does change the character of the amp and 12AX7 in my mind does give you the perfect balance between Tweed overdrive and Blackface cleans. I also love with these amps that the normal channel tone control is the tapped pot type where the top end is a warmer Blackface tone and the bottom end rolls off the highs (sloped roll off rather than shelf) which is like a Tweed.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

My 64 is all original one owner before me, Blond with black face plate with fawn coloured front grill.

Geoff
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

katopan wrote:Out of interest has yours got a 12AX7 in the PI as original or has it been changed out for a 12AT7 like the later amps? Does change the character of the amp and 12AX7 in my mind does give you the perfect balance between Tweed overdrive and Blackface cleans. I also love with these amps that the normal channel tone control is the tapped pot type where the top end is a warmer Blackface tone and the bottom end rolls off the highs (sloped roll off rather than shelf) which is like a Tweed.
This one had a 12AX7 and I replaced it with one of my oldies I have here. I realized when I played it that the treble pot was tapped and hadn't even looked at that part of the schem. I don't necessarily like those myself, but never the less, I really liked the clean sounds I heard from that amp and my EVs. Funny though, the owner is a bass player and uses it for that. He should be quite happy with it now. :mrgreen:
katopan

Post by katopan »

lovetone wrote:My 64 is all original one owner before me, Blond with black face plate with fawn coloured front grill.

Geoff
Is that still with white knobs?

I'm lead to believe that all combinations appeared in that transition era. Blond cab with black faceplate is pretty rare I think.
Blackburn wrote:This one had a 12AX7
Thanks!
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Yes it has white knobs it is the export model so also has the as input voltage selector on the inside with ¼" spade type tags.
katopan

Post by katopan »

lovetone wrote:Yes it has white knobs it is the export model so also has the as input voltage selector on the inside with ¼" spade type tags.
Cool! The one I worked on was an export (in Australia) and had the voltage selector tags as well.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Its a great sounding amp, the only problem is the 2 x 12, (matching blond with original speakers) does have a lot of bass.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

That is so ugly... Great to see you pulling it out of the depths of despair though. I feel compelled to donate to some underprivileged cause after seeing that.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo