2 x 10 Super Reverb Combo

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tone Snob Geezer

2 x 10 Super Reverb Combo

Post by Tone Snob Geezer »

I bought a '64 Super Reverb from a local music shop that has had some serious modifications that turned it into a work horse. The 4 x 10 cab has been replaced with a massive particle board and black vinyl covered enclosure concealing single 15" vintage Jensen speaker. It is absolutely massive and a two person job to move. The main and output trannys have been replaced at some point but the caps are all original. She, (La Fonda) sounds amazing but is hard on the eyes and back.

I flirted with the idea of getting a MojoTone 4 x 10" cab but decided that I had an opportunity to scale her down to a more transportable 2 x 10 combo. I worked on a 2 x 10" Princeton Chorus a while back that packed a lot of tone in a combo smaller than a Twin Reverb, so that is my goal. I got a line on a cab for $230 delivered and a two ohm output tranny but I am interested in your comments and would appreciate any wisdom you could pass on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: 2 x 10 Super Reverb Combo

Post by Stevem »

Sounds like a good plan, you will still have some 40% more cone area than just one 12 inch driver and 25% more cone area than just the 15 Incher!

The orignal 4-10s and the solid 45 watts that these amps can kick out with strong output tubes is too loud for the average club without feeding the output thru a attenuator!

Good luck and enjoy!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

2x10 is 11% less area than 1x15!!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Yup, excuse my morning math flub!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rp

Post by rp »

I'd make it a 4X10 again without a second thought, why f*ck w/ it even more or just spin in place? Open back w/ pine isn't heavy and with replacement alnicos it won't be that much heavier. You'd be increasing value with the money you are sinking in rather than "throwing it away" on a new 2x10 - all depends on what you must have and how you view it, but that's how I view it.

4X10 is more money upfront though - 2 more speakers. Maybe sell the 15" Jensen if it's a clean solid C15N or Vibronto it's worth some money. Though I'd keep it and now or eventually order an extra 1X15 baffle from Mojo or whoever you get the new 4x10 cab from. You loose that nice option if you do a 2X10.

Absolutely get a SR OT with 2/4/8 taps, pretty sure CT or Mojo offer it.

Get a 4X10 tolex w/ hide glue. It's not that much more, there's a few guys out there doing it, i can't recall right now. It really does add to the sound. A proper SR if a glorious thing.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tone Snob Geezer wrote: I flirted with the idea of getting a MojoTone 4 x 10" cab but decided that I had an opportunity to scale her down to a more transportable 2 x 10 combo. I worked on a 2 x 10" Princeton Chorus a while back that packed a lot of tone in a combo smaller than a Twin Reverb, so that is my goal. I got a line on a cab for $230 delivered and a two ohm output tranny but I am interested in your comments and would appreciate any wisdom you could pass on.
What tranny is in it now? Why go with a two ohm tranny if you are using 2x10?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yeah, that would be a mess.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I had a similar situation with a 65 SR that had 2 12" speakers when I got it. Only the speakers and baffle were changed. Amp sounded like a turd. I returned it to 4 10" and it came alive. I think the 12" speakers were duds, but also the xfmr speaker mismatch sucked the life out of it for me.

By the way, can't imagine using an attenuator with a SR. The SR has barely the minimum wattage to get useful cleans above a drummer for me. I don't think it would be enough in the 2 10" configuration.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
rp

Post by rp »

Took some time off from my busy work day :lol: to help you along:

Mergili was recommended by estimable TAGer BillyZ, though I personally can't say. If mojo is still sourcing OTs from Heyboer (ask them) I'd go with that over the CT, Heyboer does a good Fender. Weber should have the Heyboer too. Here's some speaker info to get you started. I'm indifferent to alnicos, but they are much lighter. The Weber DT10s are supposedly copies of the CTSs in the originals. If you go 4x10 ask others here on speakers, I hate speakers in 2015. Those Angela Blue Bassman 10s sure got mighty pricey. Good luck whatever you choose.

Trannie:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Outpu ... ransformer
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/heyboer/hy_order.htm
http://store.triodestore.com/surebahotrod.html

Cabinet w/ Hide Glue:

http://www.mergili.com/home.html

Alnico Speakers:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ -> AlNiCo Sig 10 - $53.00, CVA10 $88.00
http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-l ... m--290-473
http://www.angela.com/fenderspeaker108o ... lnico.aspx
Tone Snob Geezer

2 x 10 Super Reverb

Post by Tone Snob Geezer »

I appreciate the responses and suggestions. Sorry it has taken so long to acknowledge your time.

The existing OT is a Fender branded 125A9A which is designed for a 2 ohm load, so says the internet. I appreciate your suggestions of going with the original configuration of 4x10 but my gigs require that I do a fair amount of stair climbing and sedan transport so I've decided to go with my original plan of 2x10' and save my back. (Yes, I'm 50+).

I haven't completely decided on a speaker type but if I go with two at 8 ohms each wired parallel pushed by a yet to be determined 16 ohm OT I should be in business.

I have really lucked out with the electronics - the reverb repair consisted of new cables and the tremolo fix was a cracked solder joint. The caps, although dated are still good, (for now) and all the tubes are in good shape thanks to the neighbor's tube tester.

The Cab Guy has a cab for $230 delivered. Any experience with him? He did respond to my request quickly and informatively, I just hope his product is as good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

A 2x10 super reverb would be like a Vibrolux reverb :) or sort of a 2x10 version of a Super reverb.

A local guy here went through the same thing. When he got the amp it had cut down cab with a 15" 8 ohm speaker. Faceplate faded out and only knew it was a fender.
He had played the amp for many years and lots of gigs that way. When I got to check it out, I looked up the transformer numbers, and it was a 2 ohm super reverb OT.
And needed a cap job. I explained what he needed to do. But, he changed the 15 baffle to a 8 ohm 12", then to 2---4 ohm 10" speakers. I think part of the sound for those amps are the 10" speakers.
Also had a 2x10 vibrolux here that had 2x10 Eminence Ragin Cajun that sounded fantastic!
rp

Post by rp »

I haven't completely decided on a speaker type but if I go with two at 8 ohms each wired parallel pushed by a yet to be determined 16 ohm OT I should be in business.
Two 8 ohms in parallel would be 4 ohms. I don't see why there's any uncertainty on what OT to use when excellent off the shelf drop-in replacements w/ 2/4/8 ohm taps are available from Triode (Classic Tone) or Mojo and Weber (Heyboer). Triode has an option for 4/8/16 if you must have 16, but in the future if it ever becomes a SR someone will need a new OT once again which seems silly.

Sounds like your mind is made up but I will try one last time to convince you to do a proper restoration: 4x10 with speakers that aren't too heavy will weigh hardly more that a 2x10, though I admit a SR is seriously bulky. Also given the amps power and that it's 2015 two hard rocking speakers like Ragin Cajuns or Ramrods or 2 10" Greenbacks would be required in there, but weight pretty much the same as four traditional styles like Weber alnicos or these Jupiters. In fact the Jupiters weigh exactly half of a Ragin Cajun, so there you go - a 4x10 would only weigh the extra bit of pine, 1/2 ply, glue, tolex, grill cloth - 5 lbs, guessing. If money's tight run it w/ just too speakers till you can get money for two more. It's open back who cares if you have two big ports in the front for a short bit.

Can't say how these sounds but they sure look like they'll sound good :lol:

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/10- ... r-speaker/
didit

Post by didit »

I'll say with confidence that a 2 x 10" cut-down Super sounds great. Not 100% identical to stock, but close. And a whole lot more portable. Not so much weight as the bulk of box. I assisted a friend (and occasional TAG member docw) put one together. He went with a paired set of alnico and ceramic recommended by Weber that were built as 4 ohm to match the 2 ohm OPT secondary. I would recommend since you're replacing the transformer to follow the advice to get Fender replacement but multi-tap 2-4-8 ohm from Hammond or other source and use a pair of either 8 ohm or 16 ohm with whatever sonic characteristics you're after.

Best .. Ian
Doc W

Post by Doc W »

didit wrote:I'll say with confidence that a 2 x 10" cut-down Super sounds great. Not 100% identical to stock, but close. And a whole lot more portable. Not so much weight as the bulk of box. .
didit is indeed correct. Making an SR into a x10 doesn't really reduce the weight by much but it does make it much more portable for old guys like me. When carrying a 4x10 SR up or down stairs, it is often necessary to raise it up higher than hip level. This really wreaks havoc for those of us prone to sciatica. I find a Twin Reverb almost easier to carry than a 4x10 SR, just because I don't have to hoist it up as much.

The 4x10 SR is still my favourite Fender amp, but you would be surprised how little you lose making it into a 2x10.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Hacking up an amp cause you think you're old isn't the right thing to do IMO. If it's too tall then forget the handle. Just give that thing a bear hug and head on up the steps. I gave up on handles on combos 35 years ago for many reasons.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.