BF Skirted Knobs

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

BF Skirted Knobs

Post by David Root »

I happened to compare one of the knobs off the 66 Bassman I'm working on right now with one off a 67 that I have. They are different. So I pulled a modern repro, different again. See pic, 67 on left, 66 middle, modern repro on right.

My question:- is the middle one genuine and if so would 66 be right? It has "Bros." and "Rogan" molded on the inside.
I know the one on the left is a genuine period piece because it has the 8 with the big bottom (!) and I took it off the amp myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Worley

Re: BF Skirted Knobs

Post by Ron Worley »

David,

The one on the left is the BF version that used the "snowman" #8. Middle is not legit I think, right one is SF era.
Ron
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx, Ron, I have since found out that Rogan Bros., Skokie, Ill. made several different Fender knobs at one time-not sure if they were ordered by Fender or just knock-offs, or when they were made.

I also found a pic of a 66 Bassman with the exact same knobs as my 67, so the ones on my customer's 66 are not original.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The knob with the zero on it is from a vintage Sunn head and are very hard to turn up these days ( no pun intended ) in a usable condition,and as such would sell in a flash on eBay!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

If I remember correctly, there was some business about set screw orientation in determining vintage skirted knobs authenticity. As ussual, the details elude me.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Wow, I never noticed the zero until you mentioned it.

My customer is something of a collector, he has a dozen Marshalls, God knows how many Fenders, and I wouldn't doubt he has a couple of Sunns somewhere too.
He'll be happy to know those knobs, while not correct for this amp, are actually worth something!
davidjon_99

Post by davidjon_99 »

The center knob with the 0 looks similar to the knobs on my Mesa/Boogie SOB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Yes,the position of the set screw can also tell the period it came from, and if it used a slotted or hex screw. Sunns, Boogies,Music man,maybe Gibson, and probably a long list amps used similar looking knobs.
Baxtercat

Post by Baxtercat »

Yes, Boogie knobs.
I found a half-dozen once on the roof of a bldg we worked on. No telling why someone tossed those up there. Used 'em up on builds/repairs. Don't tell they're worth gold now too. :-/
Guitar Bob