Tweed Champ Speakers - Straight Or Seamed Cones?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Tweed Champ Speakers - Straight Or Seamed Cones?

Post by Blackburn »

I don't know if there is a comprehensive discussion about the topic above buried somewhere, but either way, since there are many Champ lovers here, I'd like to get personal opinions, along with personal experiences with new and old 8" speakers. I'll assume most here prefer AlNiCo mags for these amps as I do, but how do you like your cones? I had a Weber Sig. in a Champ I sold a while back, but can't remember if I ordered it with a straight or seamed cone. I believe it was straight. In my personal Champ, I have an oldie that I got on eBay for a great price and it sounds awesome. I believe that one to be a Rola and it's straight. Weber's Sig. series are great, but has anyone tried their other 8" AlNiCos, such as the Vintage or Chicago Vintage? With the new Webers, I like to run them on a little filament tranny for a while and get them nice and mellow. I'm looking to put in an order in the next day or two and am curious about these other offerings they have.

Anyway, I hope this will make for an extensive discussion that hasn't been beaten to death in the past.

David
Mark

Re: Tweed Champ Speakers - Straight Or Seamed Cones?

Post by Mark »

Funny you should mention the Chicago series of 8" speakers, I've been curious about them too.

I think the joy with the smaller speakers is their ability to cut through without sounding tinny, for lack of a better term.

The down side with some smaller speakers is that they may not produce the mids to deliver a good overdriven sound.

Getting back on topic, I've not tried alnico speakers other than a Blue, but the smooth cones do have an earlier breakup which can compliment the amp nicely.

Mind you I also use a Weber Silver Ten (which is a ribbed speaker) with a Champ and it has great bass response.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Some years ago I installed a Mojotone OT in my champ since it has a 8 ohm tap and this opened the door to trying out a bunch more 8" drivers!
I settled on a 62 Ciramic brown frame Utah diver with a seemed cone.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Mark, I'm really interested in Weber's Chicago series for these amplifiers and am thinking I'll get one of those for the one I'm about to build. The straight cones do have an earlier breakup and I've enjoyed them very much in mine. I'd say that I prefer them.

Steve, glad to hear about a ceramic in this thread. I'll assume it's well broken in and sounds fabulous, given it's age. I'd love to hear more about it. Also, ClassicTone offers their Champ OT with 4 and 8 ohm taps that will accommodate the many vintage 8" speakers often listed on eBay.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Let me know how you got on with the Weber Chicago speaker?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott