Fender Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lovetone

Fender Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau

Post by lovetone »

I've just been reading about the new Fender Michael Landau amp.

Has anyone had the chance to play through one?

Does anyone have the schematic? yeas ago Fender issued the schematic along with the manual.
jaysg

Re: Fender Hot Rod DeVille Michael Landau

Post by jaysg »

Subscribed...apparently Fender is behind on posting schematics, so they will email the pdfs of recent amps if you ask. I'm personally unimpressed with the drive/more drive channels on these amps, however, the architecture looks sound. If he's pushed them to tweak the amp a bit, it couldn't hurt and may not require a new pcb. That said, a new pcb is not that expensive when all is said and done.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

I agree the overdrive is very poor, however I played through a mK3 and the OD is much better, much more usable.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I have come to an agreement with the Hot Rod lead channel. I keep the gain very low, just enough to add some light clipping, then turn the master up. I actually enjoy playing the Hot Rod series like that.

The "More Drive" is only good for Lynyrd Skynyrd covers...
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

The Mike Landau version doesn't have a drive channel, it has two clean channels.

Marcus
RWood

Post by RWood »

xtian wrote:I have come to an agreement with the Hot Rod lead channel. I keep the gain very low, just enough to add some light clipping, then turn the master up. I actually enjoy playing the Hot Rod series like that.

The "More Drive" is only good for Lynyrd Skynyrd covers...
I feel the same but just put a 12AT7 in v1 on every hotrod I service(usually all have bad IC filter caps) which tames it down and most customers like the added volume control and creamier overdrive with less gain.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

RWood wrote:I feel the same but just put a 12AT7 in v1 on every hotrod I service(usually all have bad IC filter caps) which tames it down and most customers like the added volume control and creamier overdrive with less gain.
That's an interesting choice. How does it compare to 12ay7/12au7/5751 as V1? I keep getting these things in too and usually do the BillM tone stack mods along with a real input jack...the originals are always shot.
RWood

Post by RWood »

1.) It makes the volume work better...ie. instead of the "1 is too low but 3 is too loud" syndrone that Hotrods are known for, It moves the too loud level to 5 or so, which makes adjustments more small room friendly.
2.)The higher transconductance of 12AT7 seems to accentuate the high frequencies more, especially the upper harminics.
3.) Smoother distortion IMO

Others may hear something different than I do but I've gotten only positive feedback from customers.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
bbkassel

Post by bbkassel »

Hi there,

the Landau devil is in great parts identical to the Standard hotrod.

Just a few parts were changed.

The drive pot is now called Volume 2.

The coupling cap [C23] and the following resistor [R52] are now identical to the former normal channel [C18/R9].

The grounding resistor after the first relay was changed from 180k to 56k [R44]

The bright switch acts now for both channels on V2A.

The cathodcap [C4] on V2A was raised from 1uF to 4.7uF [C8] and the more drive button now acts as boost button. So there are now three switching Options at V2A. No cathod cap / 0,68uF cap (bright Switch) / 4,7 uF (boost Switch).

Relay K2A WAS JUMPERED AND THE TUBE V2B don't work anymore. Same with More Drive circuit.

That's all.

Greetings from Barcelona.

BB
shane

Post by shane »

Hi BB
Really interested in getting to know the deville ML differences.
Did you get your info from a schematic or from looking at an actual amp?
Been trying to find a schematic with no luck.
Cheers
Shane
shane

Post by shane »

By the way if anyone out there has a schematic for one of these I'd really appreciate a peek!😁
shane

Post by shane »

Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone else has gotten a look at the schematics for these amps yet.
Found bbkassel's info interesting but a bit confused by his comments regarding C8 and C4 as it seems at odds with previous deville schematics. On those the bright switch is on v1b and he says on the ml it's on v2a now, so wondering what's changed on v1b.

Cheers
Shane
shane

Post by shane »

Arrgh I've just realised I'm looking at the schematic of an older version and he was obviously refering to the mk 3 so it's a bit clearer to me.
I know they made some changes to the power section too because I watched an interview with Mike and he said that they had done something to give it a tad more headroom.

Still like to hear from anyone who's seen the actual schematic though, so if anyone has I'd appreciate some input.
Cheers
Shane
bbkassel

Post by bbkassel »

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Seems like the image you've linked is broken.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!