5E3 PT Question?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The Ballzz

5E3 PT Question?

Post by The Ballzz »

Hi Folks,
I finally have the finances and time to start gathering parts for my 5E3 build. 8) I am, however still stressing over PT and desired/targeted B+ choices. I want this to be as close to authentically original specs as possible, but.... many folks mention that I should go with the lower (660V) PT option, given the higher modern wall voltages, as opposed to the originally specced 710V iron. On the one hand, it sort of makes sense to use the lower voltage unit to help it operate in the manner that it did "back in the day", but I wonder if the unusually high voltage produced by using the original spec PT, with todays higher wall voltage might be what gives the amp the currently supposed "magic" that I hear about. I don't want to build a disappointing turd of an amp!

All of that being said, I have, of late become a fan of keeping preamp voltage near or at the top of their supposed ranges. Doing this seems to add a little "clarity & definition" to even driven, distorted sounds. Am I on drugs, or what? While I love overdrive and distortion, I dislike mush & mud.
All Help Appreciated,
Gene
martin manning

Re: 5E3 PT Question?

Post by martin manning »

Magnetic components has a 5E3 PT with secondary taps for both 710 and 660 VAC.
The Ballzz

Re: 5E3 PT Question?

Post by The Ballzz »

martin manning wrote:Magnetic components has a 5E3 PT with secondary taps for both 710 and 660 VAC.
Martin,
Yep, that's the iron I'm considering.
http://www.classictone.net/40-18078.html

I think it may be best to start with the higher voltage and if all is good and stable, then it should be an easy task to try the lower taps, to see what I like better. Maybe even make it switchable on a foot pedal? :roll: Just joking on that one! :P
I've already got this OT:
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-t ... fbsnrQ8L7N

Watcha Think?
Gene