Ab763 tremolo frequency range

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Ab763 tremolo frequency range

Post by Bombacaototal »

Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone knows the phase shift oscillator frequency range of a stock ab763 blackface optocoupler circuit (like a deluxe reverb)? I found different values in different sources so just wondering what is the actual correct one

What I've seen:
(I) 0.08 to 10 hz
(II) 2 to 20 hz
(III) 3 to 10 hz

Thanks a lot
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

There is no right or wrong, just what you want or the customer wants.
In my 40 plus years of doing this 99 % of the people want a slower Trem then how the amp is made.
Most folks are happy with just doubling the value of one of the 3 caps, but I had one guy who wanted it so slow that if a did not have a really strong tube in the amp for that function then the oscillator eould not even start up!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Re: Ab763 tremolo frequency range

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the reply Stevem! I guess the stock original amp come with .08 to 10, right
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

3Hz to 10Hz is typical for the AB763 circuit. I've never seen a trem circuit that goes down to 0.8Hz.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote:3Hz to 10Hz is typical for the AB763 circuit. I've never seen a trem circuit that goes down to 0.8Hz.
Thanks a lot for clarifying!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote:3Hz to 10Hz is typical for the AB763 circuit. I've never seen a trem circuit that goes down to 0.8Hz.
I was doing some calculations and found the following:

The cathode bypass capacitor of 22uF 25v should give the slowest speed of 2.55 Hz. Does it make any difference in using a 25uF here?

The Phase shift oscillator uses 2 x .01 caps and 1 x .022 cap. I read that by replacing all 3 caps of the oscillator circuit to .022 values would slow the LFO max speed.

But according to my calculations all 3 caps at .022 with the stock 1M resistors will make the max speed around 4.5 Hz vs the stock 10 Hz. This would make the LFO really slow, maybe too slow? Or are my calculations not correct

If the oscillation at the highest speed settings disappears I read one can replace the cathode resistor with an LED to eliminate the need for the large bypass capacitor, and obtain maximum gain and minimum output impedance at all frequencies in one fell swoop.

Has anyone tried the .022s with and without the LED? What was the best result between both?
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

The problem is the range is too limited by this design. for a wider range, a pedal, or a transistor oscillator is required.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

TUBEDUDE wrote:The problem is the range is too limited by this design. for a wider range, a pedal, or a transistor oscillator is required.
Thanks for the reply! I did all the calculations with 200k resistors instead of 1M and this would give a much better range to fine tune. What I don't know is the consequence of using smaller resistors and higher caps. Will the caps take longer to charge and hence it may affect the start of the effect?

Another curiosity is if anyone tried a 100K with 820 instead of 220k (load resistor) and 2.7k (cathode resistor) on the ocillator tube
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the reply! This was indeed my source for the calculations. What is not clear to me is soundwise the difference between 100K with 820 vs 220K with 2.7K, and the consequence of using smaller resistors.

Because if you follow aiken calculations with Fender values it would suggest resistors of 240K but for some reason fender preferred the 1M
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

That phase shift oscillator is a finicky circuit. It needs a strong tube with lots of gain (reason for the 220K plate resistor rather than 100K). And it also needs to be operated with a big B+, screen node in the case of the AB763.

Using a 100K plate resistor will lower the gain of the circuit and the oscillator may fail to oscillate all together, or drop out on the high and low end of the frequency range.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote:That phase shift oscillator is a finicky circuit. It needs a strong tube with lots of gain (reason for the 220K plate resistor rather than 100K). And it also needs to be operated with a big B+, screen node in the case of the AB763.

Using a 100K plate resistor will lower the gain of the circuit and the oscillator may fail to oscillate all together, or drop out on the high and low end of the frequency range.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand it now
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

My guess for the choice of 2k7 and 220k cathode and plate resistors in the Fender oscillator were to avoid the need for a high value cathode bypass cap / allow the 25uF 25V used elsewhere in the design for cathode bypass.
My understanding is that ecaps were expensive back then.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

*deleted*