[Question] Blackface Middle pot and Reverb mod

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

[Question] Blackface Middle pot and Reverb mod

Post by Bombacaototal »

I have a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I want to add a middle pot and I was wondering if it is possible to have both the normal and the vibrato channel share the same volume pot? That way I would have an extra pot which can be used as Middle

Also, keeping the one knob reverb does anyone have suggestions on how to improve it. I currently can only use it up to 1.5. Above 2 is already too wet for my taste
oj

Re: [Question] Blackface Middle pot and Reverb mod

Post by oj »

No, is much better to use the low input for that.
But if u like to go down that road, then change the volyme pot to a dual 1M = 2X1M

Well the reverb use a 100KL pot and that is why the pot is so sensitive,
If u change the pot to a 100KA instead u will get the reverb at 4 what u now have on 2.
And if that is not enough, than change the reverb 12AT7 to a 12AU7.

If u like more mods let me know :)
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

In a word, no!
The normal channel and the Vibrato channel are out of phase with each other due to the Vibrato channels mixer section in V4.
You could however use a duel gang pot / stacked pot if you can find one with the needed value.

In many Fenders that I mod the player likes the distinct mid range that changing out the tone stack caps to all 3s makes.
I forget if Fender is still using a ceramic cap on the input to the PI, but if so that needs to be thrown away and get an oil cap in there!

And as posted put in a 100KA pot for the verb, and you might even audion removing the reverb recovery bypass cap on the cathode.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks a lot for the replies. What is the most efficient solution for the middle pot? Adding it to the back?
oj

Post by oj »

Bombacaototal wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies. What is the most efficient solution for the middle pot? Adding it to the back?
Like I sad before : is much better to use the low input for that.
Or just add a 25k trim pot on the inside, and adjust it to your liking.
Personally I very seldom adjust my mid after I found my sweet spot.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

oj wrote:
Bombacaototal wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies. What is the most efficient solution for the middle pot? Adding it to the back?
You mean using input 2? I thought there would be no physical space to fit a knob there. Unless if one adds a much smaller knob?

Stevem mentioned a concentic which could be an option too
oj

Post by oj »

Bombacaototal wrote:
oj wrote:
1.You mean using input 2? I thought there would be no physical space to fit a knob there. Unless if one adds a much smaller knob?

2.Stevem mentioned a concentic which could be an option too
1. yes the low input. A normal Fender knob will fit. But the pot have to be small size to fit on the inside.

2.Where do u see that ?
a j shaner

using a dual concentric potentiometer

Post by a j shaner »

One way to do this is to purchase a dual concentric pot for a jazz bass and substitute the necessary value element for the mid pot. CTS potentiometer parts are interchangeable. All you need to do is disassemble the dual pot and change the values to 250k(bass)/10k or 25k(middle). The knobs available will not be cosmetically correct but no modification to the amp chassis is necessary.

The parts are commonly available at Mojotone or Allparts.
Stevem

J

Post by Stevem »

Another way to do it is to remove the number 2 input jack and place the pot there , or even a 3 pole selector switch that will give you 3 different pick of mid resistor.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I've used the CTS concentric pots to great effect. You can even make the knobs almost match cosmetically by cutting two stock Fender knobs, one above the set screw, one below it. When the two parts are installed on their respective shafts, it looks like one too-tall Fender knob. The upper piece for the small diameter inner shaft will need some "shimming." A loop of thin sheet metal around the shaft works well.

I like the 12AU7 "fix" for Fender reverbs, but the concentric pot thing could be applied too. Make one a Dwell pot.

But doing all this on the reissue is non-trivial because the pots used are PCB-mount miniature pots, so there's a bit of work ahead in order to install conventional 24mm pots.