"Fritz" Mod Blackface

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

"Fritz" Mod Blackface

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was thinking about the Normal Channel Reverb Mod mod which is used by the Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and have a question. If you follow the pic below the mod will basically add a jumper from normal channel to vibrato before the .022 and will remove the .047uF coupling cap.

Wouldn't it be better to replace the coupling cap of the normal channel from .047 to .022 and add the jumper right after the vibrato channel.022 taking the bias into account?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Re: "Fritz" Mod Blackface

Post by Bombacaototal »

I just realised that the actual "Fritz" mod does exactly what I said (attached)

There is a recommendation to remove the Vibrato Channel 220k channel mixing resistor as well
The channel jumper is connected to the output (upper) end of the coupling caps. You must clip or remove the left (Normal Channel) 220k channel mixing resistor at far left. I also recommend an optional jumper around the now unneeded Vibrato Channel 220k channel mixing resistor at far left for a slightly boosted, slightly brightened tone.
What is everyone's opinion about removing the Vibrato Channel 220k channel mixing resisto. Has anyone tried different values there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

Do you know what those resistors do?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Re: H

Post by Bombacaototal »

Stevem wrote:Do you know what those resistors do?
1, it keeps signal from one input from bleeding into the other input.
2, it works as an effective voltage divider. without it, the signal at each channel, before the PI would be doubled. The amp would go into distortion more easily, at that point.