6G2 Brown Princeton Build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

6G2 Brown Princeton Build

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello, a customer brought me a brown Princeton that was formerly owned be Eddie Bertrand. Eddie had a well known surf band in the sixties called Eddie and the Showmen. Triva, another very famous Dumble using guitar player was also in that band. :) Anyway, Eddie got more into the rock thing and the brown Princeton was heavily modified(butchered). The customer wanted it put back to stock but nothing was original to the amp and it had a bunch of added holes, so I built him a dead stock new amp to put in the cabinet. I used a Mojo chassis, Mercury transformers, Sozo caps, and NOS Allen Bradley resistors. As you can see, I really wanted to use the Mercury power transformer and had to improvise to get it to mount. Amps sounds great. Even with the customer supplied Sovtek 5Y3 rectifier the B+ is at 344vdc. We are going to get a GE 5Y3 which should drop the voltage a bit more. I guess the 315vdc on the Fender schematic may not be such a myth after all.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Re: 6G2 Brown Princeton Build

Post by martin manning »

Nice! And a good idea to replace the chassis. A JJ 5Y3 will drop voltage just like a NOS.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Martin. I agree with you as far as the JJ 5Y3 but the GEs are still pretty inexpensive. I think my customer purchased one for $15.
CW
xtian

Post by xtian »

Oh, boy, those are sexy components! Too bad they're usually hidden.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah we put so much work into these to make them look cool on the inside so they sound cool on the outside. Hmm nobody curious about who the other famous guitar player that was in Eddie and the Showmen? Look at the guy behind the drums.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I looked it up. Everybody has to start somewhere, right?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Looks really cool the name on the back with #2 reminiscent of SRV Vibroverbs

Did he use paint or pen?
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Funny, Eddie And The Showmen is not mentioned on the "other guitarist's" wikipedia page! :-)
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah its funny, early surf band stints get ignored sometimes. I remember talking to Jim Messina at a party about the surf band he was in with Glenn Frey called the Jesters. He didn't want to talk about it, denied being there, and actually got kind of angry. On the other hand, Don Henley loves talking about surf music. He showed up at one of our gigs with Stan Lynch and they really seemed to enjoy themselves.
CW
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

Guess he couldn't afford a 335 yet back then?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Nice pic. I love the way ALL the guitarists and bassist are standing behind or out of the bore sight of the amps. The sax player is getting murdered. I guess he didn't know any better. :shock:
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
keithb7

Post by keithb7 »

I too built a 6G2 clone with a Mojotone chassis. I built a head with multi-tap OT. The Mojotone chassis is cut for their own larger 6G3 power transformer. I'm not sure why. I built an adaptor to put in the proper size PT. I highly recommend the Hammond 290CAX PT for future builders. It has a lower voltage option to achieve vintage voltages. Or an option for standard modern voltages winding. The 6G2 is a wonderful amp. My clone will be my experimental amp. With switchable fat boost added for example.