[’65 DRRI] Reverb Driver + Tank

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

[’65 DRRI] Reverb Driver + Tank

Post by Bombacaototal »

I just wonder what is everyone's opinion about the stock Deluxe Reverb Reissue reverb driver #037099 and if there would be any substantial difference in upgrading it to a http://www.classictone.net/40-18034.html for example

Another point is relating to the Reverb Tank (064063 REVERB UNIT 4 SPRING 4AB3C1B). Any point in changing to TAD or MOD?

I seems fender uses the following
The DRRI uses an Accutronics 4-Spring tank. It is a long tank (16.75") with two sets of two springs joined in the middle.

Input Impendance: 8 ohms
Output Impedance: 2,250 ohms
Decay: Type 3 - long delay 2.75 to 4 seconds
Connectors: Input is insulated (on the tank side)
Output is grounded (on the tank side)
Locking Devices: No lock
Mounting: Horizontal - Open side down
Accutronics Tank for DRRI
Fender part number: 064063
Accutronics part number:4AB3C1B

Fender Reverb Cable for DRRI
Fender part number: 0025722000
Also, any thoughts for a better quality replacement for the RCA cable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lord preset

Re: [’65 DRRI] Reverb Driver + Tank

Post by lord preset »

I suppose the question is what kind of improvement you are looking for? I doubt that a replacement reverb transformer would change much of anything, nor would changing cables. A different brand of reverb tank is more likely to produce a noticeable change but whether it's better or worse is hard to say depending on what you are after. Swapping out driver and recovery tubes might also give you a different sound.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

lord preset wrote:I suppose the question is what kind of improvement you are looking for? I doubt that a replacement reverb transformer would change much of anything, nor would changing cables. A different brand of reverb tank is more likely to produce a noticeable change but whether it's better or worse is hard to say depending on what you are after. Swapping out driver and recovery tubes might also give you a different sound.
Thanks for the reply. Indeed the question is regarding improvements on the reverb

As far as tubes I am using the following:
V3, 12AT7: Philips ECG JAN / ECC81 / 12AT7WC- BALANCED
V4, 12AX7: General Electric 1980s ECC83/12AX7A grey plate

So was wondering if the other variables (transformer, tank, cable) would make any major difference

The question is based on the fact that the OT upgrade I did for the amp improved it substantially
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

By far the biggest change in sound comes from the tank and having its coils fitting tight onto there layered Iron core!
All to often these coils rock on there core and then it takes a much greater amount of energy to drive the springs , and poor fitting coils make for reduced top end on verb !
I super glue all the tanks I work on when they are loose.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I have a question about the .0033uF cap after V4A: would reducing it to .0022 or .001 roll off some bass of the reverb after the recovery?