Showman Amp

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

N

Post by Stevem »

I will cast out a bet that the plate voltage is run near 400 volts .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gldtp99

Re: Showman Amp

Post by gldtp99 »

My 7355 Showman is packed away in storage----- It might be a while before I can get to it, take it to my shop, and test voltages.
They're slamming us with overtime at my regular job so I've closed down my amp shop to outside amp work---- And I have almost no time to work there on my own amp projects.
The pics are old ones I put up on Photobucket years ago.
I can't remember the voltage measurements from when I worked on the amp.
Sorry I can't be more helpful right now.

I keep one of my 6L6GC BF Showman heads in my shop---- It gets used regularly and sounds like a BF Showman should---- the 7355 amp really doesn't match it as far as playing satisfaction.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

No worries, just curious. This has been interesting as I was not aware of this experiment. Sort of like the brief flirtation with 6BQ5's.
Stevem

K

Post by Stevem »

I would think that 4 7355s could match for instance the two 6L6s in my BF Bandmaster, that outputs 42 watts RMS, that is unless the OT Leo used was a mismatch for the sake of kicking gear out the door, or the PTs voltage / current combo was lean?
It's just quite odd to offer such a lack luster amp with 2-15" drivers, but who knows what they had in mind, either way it had to be a expensive amp for back then even without Trem or Verb!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Mea culpa on the 6L6's. I'm no expert on amps.

You are correct that it's 7355's!

I used the online specs for the Showman and not looking at the tubes!
I didn't know there were 'experiments' on the model.

Here is a pic of the tube.

The speakers are indeed 15's. JBL D130's. 16 ohms in parallel. I opened the back to check.

and it was a blonde as I said, unless it was common practice to use blonde tolex and then dye it black??

I am amazed at the knowledge here on The Amp Garage!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goldhedge

Re: Y

Post by Goldhedge »

Stevem wrote:Fender never made a Blond 2-15" horizontal speaker cabinet, those must be 12" JBL drivers if they are original !
The first 2-15" cab came about in the black Tolex era, and the cab stood verticle.
This is definitely a blonde. It sits horizontal with the amp on top. I seem to remember some kind of 'pegs' to keep the head in one spot? (Not home at the moment to see).

I can see the blonde coming through on the corners and there's the pic in post above that shows it unstained.
“The greatest energy of movement will be obtained when synchronism is maintained between the pump impulses and the natural oscillations of the system.” Tesla
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

gldtp99 posted a pic of his blonde 2x15 above. You can see the "piggyback" brackets are on the long side.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Wow, that Showman sure is a beauty
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

martin manning wrote:gldtp99 posted a pic of his blonde 2x15 above. You can see the "piggyback" brackets are on the long side.
Yes, this has the brackets on the long side too. I stood it on end because of no room in the garage.

Does it matter which way the speakers sit? Is it better horizontal vs vertical?
“The greatest energy of movement will be obtained when synchronism is maintained between the pump impulses and the natural oscillations of the system.” Tesla
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There will be some difference in the sound with the cab placed vertically vs. horizontally. The brackets holding the head in place are needed because of the tilt-back feature, for which the lower CG with the speaker horizontal makes a more stable arrangement.