Showman Amp

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Goldhedge

Showman Amp

Post by Goldhedge »

Just acquired this amp from a friend of mine.

It has the 2 JBL silver dust cap 15's cabinet under it.

Looked up the serial number and it's a 1960 vintage.

Originally, it was a blonde blackface, but sadly someone along the way dyed it black with something (leather dye?).
You can sorta see it on the cabinet edges...

I read it was typically used as the 'surfer sound'... plays really clean too.

Anyone know what it's worth? Suggestions on what to do with it?

Took a bunch of pics inside...

TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: Showman Amp

Post by Colossal »

Goldhedge wrote:Just acquired this amp from a friend of mine.

Anyone know what it's worth? Suggestions on what to do with it?
The interior is pristine :shock: and it looks like it's seen very little use. To do with it? You're not thinking of modding it or something, are you? Only thing I would do is clean the dust off the front panel and tolex. Wow, that is a very nice score.
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Thanks! I'd probably sell it.

I've been looking online and the speaker box (I think it's called a Bandmaster?) goes for about $400 and the head is around $800? Anyone have a better price?
Being that it's pristine and the first year model it could fetch more?

It is clean. I wasn't planning on modding it.
If it had reverb I might have considered keeping it.

Did I say it was loud? 4-6l6's with 4-12AX7's

Still has the 2 prong plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That is a nice amp, man. Hope you get a good price and a good home for it. Very nice! It is remarkable how clean the interior is.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Goldhedge wrote:

Looked up the serial number and it's a 1960 vintage.
Nice score; I would document the pot and electrolytic cap codes and of course the codes on the transformers, that would give a better clue of its actual age range. At first glance, it looks like a transitional 64'.

TM
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Time capsule for sure. The date codes on the chassis, electrolytics, and bias pot seem to say late '63.
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Hmmm, this is what I was using to date it, but it seems it's a crapshoot....

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

If you scroll down to Showman

Showman 6G14, 6G14-A (blonde)
00001 to 00350 – 1960
00200 to 00800 – 1961
00800 to 01500 – 1962
01500 to 01800 – 1963

from the link:

"Working at FMI – I was able to interview a fellow (who wishes to remain anonymous) who worked at Fender in 1972-73 in the amp department. Although his job was somewhat limited, his recollections provided some really fascinating insights to how the amps were built. For instance, he confirmed our assumption that the amp chassis were put into stock after being stamped with serial numbers and that the chassis were pulled from the stock bins randomly (just as with Fender guitar neck plates). He recalled, “We just went to a big bin every morning and loaded our wheeled rack with a batch of whatever chassis we were working on that day. The boss came around and said what we'd be building. The chassis weren't used chronologically. Probably the same as the pots and transformers that we just dug out of the boxes. I think in the corners of the boxes were older pots remaining from earlier dates... leftovers.”"
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

What are the numbers on the transformers?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Goldhedge wrote:Hmmm, this is what I was using to date it, but it seems it's a crapshoot....

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

If you scroll down to Showman

Showman 6G14, 6G14-A (blonde)
00001 to 00350 – 1960
00200 to 00800 – 1961
00800 to 01500 – 1962
01500 to 01800 – 1963

from the link:

"Working at FMI – I was able to interview a fellow (who wishes to remain anonymous) who worked at Fender in 1972-73 in the amp department. Although his job was somewhat limited, his recollections provided some really fascinating insights to how the amps were built. For instance, he confirmed our assumption that the amp chassis were put into stock after being stamped with serial numbers and that the chassis were pulled from the stock bins randomly (just as with Fender guitar neck plates). He recalled, “We just went to a big bin every morning and loaded our wheeled rack with a batch of whatever chassis we were working on that day. The boss came around and said what we'd be building. The chassis weren't used chronologically. Probably the same as the pots and transformers that we just dug out of the boxes. I think in the corners of the boxes were older pots remaining from earlier dates... leftovers.”"
Other things to consider are hardware/ dressing type. That grill cloth, logo and handle type wasn't typically seen in 1960. Also, keep in mind there are also "transitional" models which use cosmetics across different eras, Fender did not believe in wasting parts and materials.

I have a rare AA165 Bassman that has mostly mid 64 iron, all 64 pots, all 64 lytics besides one dated 1/65, thus has to be early 65'.Suposely, they were only built between Jan-April 65'.

TM
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Tranny pics... I think I have read the output correctly? Zoom in.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The transformers and choke are Schumacher (606), and the date codes are '63 (3), followed by the week of manufacture. The OT code doesn't make sense with 387, so it must be something else. With a 7 on the end it has to be 1 to 4, most likely a 3.
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Thanks! That's still a 'pretty good year'!
“The greatest energy of movement will be obtained when synchronism is maintained between the pump impulses and the natural oscillations of the system.” Tesla
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Neat wiring compared to the rats nest that we see in amps made a few years later.
Great Score!
Why Aye Man
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Did it come with the paper tube chart stapled to the inside of the head? If so, post a pic of that.
Goldhedge

Post by Goldhedge »

Alas... it appears to be torn out.

Now why would someone tear it out so neatly??

Or do they tend to fall out after years?