1967 "Fender" Double Bassmaster Custom Amp

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Synchu

Re: 1967 "Fender" Double Bassmaster Custom Amp

Post by Synchu »

Looks in great condition despite the age. Sure it'll get even better.
Niki
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thx, Niki!

Hey, the bypass caps are "DUCATI" brand! Vroom!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Post by xtian »

Finished with the tune up. I replaced all electrolytics. You'll notice my custom reservoir cap made from eight 22uF Panasonic radial caps and a bit of strip board, making a 44uF/900v reservoir.

Also, I installed each node's filter caps nearer the plate resistors--see the radial caps between the pots and circuit board. Radials can be cool!

My observation about the OT secondaries was correct. Now that I'm using the right tap against the right load, I'm getting 72 watts, even with the 6P6S tubes that Steve warned were not equivalent to 6L6GC, and even biased cool, at about 40-50%.

Sounds great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Don't know if the speakers are original, but the 67 is the CTS manufacturer code, and the 7451 is the 51st week of 1974!
Those drivers are 2 steps down from what would have come in a real Fender, in fact I have only seen those square size magnet CTS drivers used in old console type home stereo's!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

67 = Eminence. 7451 is 51st week of 1974.
Nice cab. Good catch on the wiring. Makes you wonder...
Steve, your hands must be going faster than your brain! I am sure you know 137 is CTS!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have speakers with similar magnets and frames. Eminence 12" that came in a 65 Super Reverb that had been baffle hacked. Mine sound like ass. I removed them a long time ago. Still sitting on a shelf gathering dust. I should toss them. I hope yours sound better.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thx guys. Yes, this cabinet sounds killer!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Might pay to replace those IC bias supply caps with something more reliable.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Sorry, yes there Eminence!
Eminence speakers would have never had come stock in any 1965 amp as the person who started Eminence left CTS in 1969 to start Eminence!!!!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

tubeswell wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 am Might pay to replace those IC bias supply caps with something more reliable.
I thought paranoia about Illinois caps went out of style. I've been using new Illinois caps from cedist.com with no issues since I started building.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

xtian wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 pm
tubeswell wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 am Might pay to replace those IC bias supply caps with something more reliable.
I thought paranoia about Illinois caps went out of style. I've been using new Illinois caps from cedist.com with no issues since I started building.
YMMV :-)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I've used a ton of Illinois caps over the last few years. I've had a better success rate than I've had with sprague atoms.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I remember a post from years ago at another forum. Someone very experienced ran a bunch of tests on IC, Atom, and some generic caps. IC came out on top and this was received as a bit of a surprise. I wish I could remember the particulars. Maybe it will come to me and I'll amend my post.

Found it: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... rC7tzuv8MJ
Look for Mike Schway 10/27/06

Memory of this post was not exactly right, but still on point.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have never seen as many young IC brand caps fail as I have in Fenders made in the last 15 years!
Seing as some folks love them and have had no issues with them, that leaves me to assume that when IC makes a big production run for Fender they cut the quality in some way, or maybe it's just that Fender runs them cranked up too close to there voltage rating?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Stevem wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am I have never seen as many young IC brand caps fail as I have in Fenders made in the last 15 years!
Seing as some folks love them and have had no issues with them, that leaves me to assume that when IC makes a big production run for Fender they cut the quality in some way, or maybe it's just that Fender runs them cranked up too close to there voltage rating?
I don't recall where, (maybe a FB group) I read that there was a particular batch of bad caps that IC ran and basically fender bought all of them in their mass purchasing, and just had the bad luck of getting that batch. Many people have said that it was a big blip on an otherwise solid reputation. I've used them in a few builds with no adverse problems, but my builds are all about a year old, so haven't had time to see issues. I'm more of a fan of JJ anyway, fits in the middle on price between the IC and Sprague cost and quality is solid.
tUber Nerd!