My Learning Started Here: The 5E3

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

My Learning Started Here: The 5E3

Post by Blackburn »

I'm building a 5E3 with minimal changes from the remaining dregs of my FIRST EVER build. It was funny tearing all the turrets off this board and vividly remembering years upon years ago putting this thing together. What nostalgia! Anyway, mostly stock. NOS caps. Classic Tone iron. Pretty basic otherwise. Much of it comes from wanting to move the original speaker I used as well as the Mojo cab ordered well after this thing was built. I'll post pics.

David
Blackburn

Re: My Learning Started Here: The 5E3

Post by Blackburn »

Almost everything, ready to go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Here we go.... fired up with no questions asked and sounds really nice so far. Excellent cleans. Haven't dug in yet for the dirt, but this thing is particularly nice through my 60s Rola AlNiCo 12". :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Looks really sharp and I bet it sounds good with that Alnico speaker.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Thanks Dave! Yeah, this particular speaker is a relatively new acquisition for me. I found I absolutely love it with my old 5C3 build and I figured by extension it would pair nicely with this new one, which it has. The amplifier will be put in a cab with a reissue Jensen P12Q.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Why the stacked cathode resistors?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

My guess would be he didn't have a 250ohm 5W laying around (the 5E3 schematic requirement) so 2 100's and a 50 work, but I'd think stacking them like that means they could accidentally move and touch something they shouldn't. I'd think heat wouldn't be a problem because now they're sharing the load across all three, but... yeah seems like a risky bet, maybe some zip ties over that too make it more stable?

Very nice build though, super clean.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Bill, I like wiring them up like that for heat and space. These things cook, especially with modern voltages. I get 15w with three and I changed the value to 300 ohms. Took the layout concept from the Tweedle D.

Pompei, I'm really not concerned at all about the stability of that configuration. The top lead is jacketed. Try it out and see for yourself. I prefer things this way, mostly because of the increased power rating and placement. The board shouldn't suffer as much either. Thanks!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I get that, very cool

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!