First Princeton reverb build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

First Princeton reverb build

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hi all,
I just pulled the trigger on my first batch of parts for a Princeton reverb build. I decided to try a few different brands of parts that I've never used, prp resistors, solen film caps (with the exception of 1 jupiter) and mundorf for the electrolytic. Any info on the quality of these parts?

I'm using a mojotone board, and will probably use a mojo chassis and cabinet as well. I've got a 10" Jupiter speaker I was going to use as well.

This will be my first build that has tremolo or reverb. Is there anything I should be aware of while dealing with those things? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- josh
Not really
xtian

Re: First Princeton reverb build

Post by xtian »

PR rules. I used the mojo chassis also--very nice. I built mine with a 12" speaker, though. Turned out great, put it in the hands of a pro musician in the SF Bay area on permanent loan. Here's my build log:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23029

It's a long one. Worked out some bugs in the tremolo, page 5. Other issues as well, with help from Milkman plus others.

Go get 'em!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

Sweet, thank you! Would you recommend shelling out the extra cash to go for the 12" speaker? I was hoping to save a little bit by going with the 10 incher I've got on hand, but if it'll make a noticeable difference id go for the 12.
Not really
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One thing to watch for is a dot on the opto-roach indicating which direction you install that on the board. I had to unsolder mine and turn around. :oops:

Otherwise it's straight forward build. Fender eyelet boards are not easy to wire up, it gets confusing sometimes and with not much room on that board.

Mark
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

One thing to watch for is a dot on the opto-roach indicating which direction you install that on the board.
Should not be an issue on a Princeton Reverb.
xtian

Post by xtian »

10 inch speakers can sound great. I've just never felt they were THE sound for guitar. To me that's a 12 inch speaker. YMMV!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Hey Josh. On my Princeton build, I used a 12 Greenback, I doubted if it would sound good, but the 2 matched up great, and this Princeton is my fav of all my amps
I Tried my 2x10 cab, but didn't sound as good.
then again, its your ears your trying to please, see if Youtubes has something you can listen to of both speaker sizes, might help your decision
good luck
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

sluckey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm
One thing to watch for is a dot on the opto-roach indicating which direction you install that on the board.
Should not be an issue on a Princeton Reverb.
Yeah my bad brain not engaged. I was think about a single channel Deluxe Reverb I recently built.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

Thank you all for the advice!

Another question, what would be the effect of reducing all .1uf caps in the build to .68? I have enough .68 sozo caps lying around to replace them, would this cause a significant difference or any issues? Thanks again
Not really
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

what would be the effect of reducing all .1uf caps in the build to .68?
That would be increasing.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

oh jesus you're right... duh... i have no idea how i worked that out in my mind. Those values aren't even close. Nevermind then :oops:
Not really
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

Also I have decided to stick with my 10" speaker. I've always been a fan of them. This will mostly be an in home amp, for my apartment, and i find that a 10" doesn't sound a whole lot different than a 12" at low volumes like that. I'll post some pictures as parts start coming in, and this will likely be a slow build for me, for financial reasons.
Not really
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

I put a tone stack lift switch in mine, and it really boosts the signal up. I also found the treble/bass to work quite well.
Mine doesn't have reverb, but has an awesome tremolo. I just used the ceriatone version.
There should be a Princeton in every house, good choice Josh.
TimmyP1955

Post by TimmyP1955 »

My boss has a slightly modded BFPR that wails (when he got it, the OPT and speaker were toast).

DR OPT.

PI supply moved up one node (higher)

Final coupling caps changed from .1 to .01 (might be a little small for Strats?)

Jensen P10R (it was on hand, and we liked it).

I need to go back in and add some grid stoppers and screen grid resistors and see what happens.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

Is there any advantage to using a deluxe reverb output transformer? Would it make the amp sound any bigger/fuller?
Not really