Twin Tweed 5F8-A with Reverb and Tremolo

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Twin Tweed 5F8-A with Reverb and Tremolo

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was thinking of a good way to add a reverb and a tremolo to a 5F8-A. I think the approach taken on the Fender Dual-Professional Custom Shop (schematic attached) may be a good way to go.

One would essentially plug the 5F8-A circuit after the return. There are topology similarities which make me assume this would work. It probably would work on Marshall JTM type circuit too.

Any feedbacks on this approach?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a j shaner

Re: Twin Tweed 5F8-A with Reverb and Tremolo

Post by a j shaner »

I have successfully put a passive patch point between the wiper of the treble pot and the entrance to the phase inverter/driver using a Switchcraft 14b jack and TRS Y cord plugged into a tube reverb.
Would probably also work with the ReVibe.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

What about something like this? It would not be a true Twin Tweed with 5F8-A , but adding reverb and tremolo will change that anyway.

Perhaps this could be a nice sounding amp? I attached an Express SCH editable schematic where you can modify this to whatever you want.

This is a DRAFT idea and you'll need to check for errors.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I've put reverb and tremolo into a '5F6A' circuit before. I tried many variations over the course of about 18 months before I arrived at this particular configuration, and this was the most successful. It utilises an Allen Old Flame-style reverb insertion method. The combination of DC coupled pair in front of the tone stack and the reverb and bias-vary trem sound quite good if I say so myself. This could work equally well with a 5F8A circuit methinks (because the topology is almost the same as a 5F6A).
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks @tubeswell for contributing and for sharing your schematic. It indeed looks like it might sound great. Which model did this tremolo come from?

Thanks 10thtx as well. I love the 6g16 vibrato. Looks like a good idea as well
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 am Thanks @tubeswell for contributing and for sharing your schematic. It indeed looks like it might sound great. Which model did this tremolo come from?
It was the bias trem configuration I settled on after several experiments on variants of 6G9/6G11/6G15
xtian

Post by xtian »

tubeswell wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:26 am I've put reverb and tremolo into a '5F6A' circuit before. I tried many variations over the course of about 18 months before I arrived at this particular configuration, and this was the most successful. It utilises an Allen Old Flame-style reverb insertion method. The combination of DC coupled pair in front of the tone stack and the reverb and bias-vary trem sound quite good if I say so myself. This could work equally well with a 5F8A circuit methinks (because the topology is almost the same as a 5F6A).
That's a very fine schematic, sir. A great distillation of Fenderishness, very nicely documented.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

tubeswell wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:16 am
Bombacaototal wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 am Thanks @tubeswell for contributing and for sharing your schematic. It indeed looks like it might sound great. Which model did this tremolo come from?
It was the bias trem configuration I settled on after several experiments on variants of 6G9/6G11/6G15
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the contribution and the well documented schematic as pointed out by xtian

Did you use a fender blackface reverb pan?

This will probably work great for Marshall JTM as well
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Yep I used a standard accutronics pan and Fender BF-style reverb transformer.

A JM45 circuit is the same as a 5F6A
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

tubeswell wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:07 am Yep I used a standard accutronics pan and Fender BF-style reverb transformer.

A JM45 circuit is the same as a 5F6A
Perfect. Thanks again for the generosity!

One more thing, did you create your own layout board? Or did you manage to fit into an existing (ie ab763, princeton)
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I did my own layout.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

tubeswell wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:34 am I did my own layout.
Noted with thanks
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

If you want some inspiration for how to lay it out, look at the old flame layout
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I recently added reverb to my 5f6a bassman clone. I just did a passive loop just like in a dumble, like somebody else said, right between the treble pot and pi. Then I just slapped a plush verbrator in there. It is currently my favorite sounding reverb and amp and I have two ab763s and a traynor reverb master. Cant say enough good about the verbrator, its definitely studio grade reverb. I also think that the fact that the loop comes off a cathode follower is helpful for the quality of the pairing. The unit itself is also a tube buffered loop and trem could be added that way via pedal.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

davebolden44 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:01 pm I recently added reverb to my 5f6a bassman clone. I just did a passive loop just like in a dumble, like somebody else said, right between the treble pot and pi. Then I just slapped a plush verbrator in there. It is currently my favorite sounding reverb and amp and I have two ab763s and a traynor reverb master. Cant say enough good about the verbrator, its definitely studio grade reverb. I also think that the fact that the loop comes off a cathode follower is helpful for the quality of the pairing. The unit itself is also a tube buffered loop and trem could be added that way via pedal.
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I always add the passive loops on my amps and I will check the mentioned unit, although I really love circuits with reverb and tremolo, and will probably go on this route