Monterey pop festival

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

astro8585

Monterey pop festival

Post by astro8585 »

Anyone know something about all those Showman amps at the Monterey Pop Festival. Rented I suppose and used by virtually all the performers including J M Hendrix.
Stevem

Re: Monterey pop festival

Post by Stevem »

Why do you need to know, and what difference does it make at this late date?
Rented, maybe, but more likely the local Fender dealer made use of them for free just for the stage/ massive free advertising time, infact since you posted this up I guess there still getting free ad time no?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
astro8585

Post by astro8585 »

Just asking. I'm interested in this time period. If there's nothing to be known then OK.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Well Jimi used Fender Amps to record with all the time so he was no stranger to using Fender amps .

Live he used Sunn amps for a bit , then when he switched to Marshall gave is Sunn amps to mountain.

Mountain used them on there first public live gig which was Woodstock, and that great to this very day lead tone that Leslie West got on there performance night was from playing thru a Sunn pA head with all its added gain intended for Microphone use!

Since 98% of musicians who played 6 string guitar back then would have recorded there songs thru at best Fender Twin Reverbs or Ampeg Gemini II amps they where likely thrilled to walk on stage and find Fenders biggest and loudest amp sitting there!

I applaud your wanting to go back and see how sounds have evolved thru the intensional or unintentional usage of certain gear, as it's the road map to where we are now!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!