5E6 bassman piggyback

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

scooter_trasher

5E6 bassman piggyback

Post by scooter_trasher »

I just came into what I believe to be a boutique built tweed bassman from 1960s in a custom piggyback.
Possibly from the LA area
Has 1955 5E6 layout,
1962 6G6a type solid state rectifier
61 & later OT EIA code 606 720 from 67 part 022871
Thordsarson T-22 R07 off shelf replacement PT no date code 350-0-350 200 milamp
1963 Magnetic Components E 3021s dated from 1963 , Gibson choke
4x10 ported speaker cabinet loaded with 2 1966 CTS alnico 10"
1 1965 Jensen concert & 1 mojotone replacement 10" ceramic
no numbers stamped in chassis
looks to be built around 66 or 67 definitely a one of a kind , thought someone may recognize it
here's some pics
IMG_3960.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Re: 5E6 bassman piggyback

Post by joeboo88 »

Nice color. reminds me of and old Chevy paint job from the 60's
scooter_trasher

Re: 5E6 bassman piggyback

Post by scooter_trasher »

Yea we called it old man green, the cars that are still around , because that's the color the old men bought, the reds ,blues, blacks and such got hot-roded & wrecked buy young guys.
The amp sounds great with zero hum , even with the ancient filter caps, may have been a test bed chassis Leo let someone take when he sold out, maybe a custom scratch build, no holes for rectifier tubes, not a mod , the double ported cabinet is a nice middle of the road between open and the closed back of the time, I think whoever had it built,or built it, had something specific in mind ,maybe a steel guitar player wanting top controls instead of front, or else why not buy a twelve year old 5E6 , a five year old 6G6, or a new blackface, even has four tack holes on the front,that appear to line up for a tweed bassman name tag, likely a players rig, if someone saw it back in the day they will likely. remember it, as it stands it's a sum of parts that work very well together , I'll enjoy it , but I'll never be able to do it real justice, I'm more gearhead than player , I'm already thinking about a duel rectifier switch to go back & forth between tube & solid state with a duel bias switch to match the tube bias married to it :)