Deal or no deal

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

scooter_trasher

Deal or no deal

Post by scooter_trasher »

I have this terrible sickness of collection cool stuff I really don't need , just cause I catch it right, and then when I get desperate for space, I'll let someone get it from me at a good deal ( more often than not more than I paid) that being said and my wife's concerns on the matter being not all that important to me, I need help seeing the down side to these two deals. I really like those Rivera era Concerts and I have a Blackface Fender 2x12 cabinet just screaming for that Bandmaster and a Bassman ot .
68 bandmaster reverb $400, 3 1/2hr drive
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/6163363963.html
1985 Rivera Concert w evm12l $500
[url]http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender ... 2549836.gc
http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/fil ... w&id=47325
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scooter_trasher on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneMerc

Re: Deal or no deal

Post by ToneMerc »

scooter_trasher wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 pm I have this terrible sickness of collection cool stuff I really don't need , just cause I catch it right,that being said and my wife's concerns on the matter being not all that important to me, I need help seeing the down side to these two deals.

The 3.5hr drive which I hope is round trip, adds at least an extra $75 to the price in my book. For me to chalk it up as a deal, I would feel better if it was $300-350.They are not terribly collectible, but then again you can't build one for only $400 either. It's worth what you are willing to pay for it.

TM
scooter_trasher

Yea that's a drive alright, it's priced around 2 or three hundos less than Guitar center wants, and I like the reverb models over the black face models not just for the verb , but seem to have more gain..http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30309
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

scooter_trasher wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 pm I really like those Rivera era Concerts and I have a Blackface Fender 2x12 cabinet just screaming for that Bandmaster and a Bassman ot .
If you have the bread and the patience to drive, both excellent amps at sleeper prices. I say get 'em while you can!

I reminisce about taking a trip to Long Island from here with a friend, where he picked up his Bandmaster Reverb for $175. An equivalent drive to the one you will have to make. That was 40 years ago and he still plays his Bmstr IIRC stock circuit with only replacement tubes & filter caps. One thing to note is it's the kissin' cousin to Fender's very collectible and expensive Vibroverb.

Should you choose to modify, it's a terrific amp for that. Same for the Rivera-era Concert. Great amp as-is or tweak it up a little if you prefer. Drop what you're doin' & go get 'em before someone else does!
down technical blind alleys . . .
scooter_trasher

Yea with the bassman ot and the right speaker Bandmaster reverb is a Vibroverb or Superreverb in an easy to carry pkg, both amps are great in their own rite and have spectacular potential , if tweeked, my problem is I bought a custom Tweed piggback Memorial day and it's still in the garage due to space issues, somebody ought steal these amps out from under me, before I wind up on hoarders :)
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

scooter_trasher wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 pm Yea with the bassman ot and the right speaker Bandmaster reverb is a Vibroverb or Superreverb in an easy to carry pkg
The only thing "wrong" with the original OT is a bit of solidity in the bass response, plus the "A6A" is IME the most commonly wrecked Fender OT. I can see a definite advantage in having a larger & more reliable OT especially with a selection of output impedances. Worried about showing up on "Hoarding", nah, what a magnificent hoard. Yours is no junkpile.
down technical blind alleys . . .
scooter_trasher

That Bandmaster sure would be the cat's whiskers, with a Bassman OT,sitting on top of my Blackface 2x12 cab fitted with a 4 ohm d130f or evm 15l, OH BOY!
that's a whole lot of whoup a** for around 7 bills :)
xtian

Post by xtian »

Check out my thread on the Bandmaster Reverb:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28988

I added two 8" Jensens to the baffle to make a standalone combo. Very cool!

Ended up selling it to Rob Robinette.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
scooter_trasher

Fender guru totes that 2x8" thing, not sure I'd use the 2 8s, the 16" leslie cab sure sounds nice
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To6koQY ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Wife: "How many more amps do you need?"
Husband: <smart husband figures out how to demure without provoking wife>

IMO, get the Bandmaster and skip the Rivera. I get the feeling you are satisfying your bad case of GAS. See if this fixes it. We all get it from time to time. If it's a 7 hour round trip, make a day of it. Take your wife, do something fun (for her) and pickup the amp while you're at it.

Remember to bargain with the seller. What's the fun of paying list price? If he doesn't go for it, what he's asking is more than reasonable.
scooter_trasher

I mostly posted those amps in case someone else needs one,trying to show people there are deals out there,maybe not quite exactly what they want but close enough to fit until the deal on their dream comes up, I get tired of hearing guys talk about there's no way they can afford hand wired vintage amps and then squander their money on pcb reissues, it's not what something costs to buy it's what it costs to own, If you can get something now that you can make a couple bucks on when you get rid of it , why not do that instead of eating a loss on something that is only posing as what you really want. I don't have any needs,as far as gear goes,most of what I buy is not just to play and tinker with, but for my friends to enjoy, and as investments, gotta call an hour ago from a friend ,want's me to put his telecaster on craigslist for him ,american, tobacco sunburst w rosewood fingerboard, skb case, he's wanting to buy a Stratocaster, I didn't think it was a great idea to get rid of the strat he had to get the tele , but he was playing out & doing studio stuff in Nashville and got the tele bug, I may take it off his hands at the price he's asking ($600), mostly because it's his,plays nice, is in good shape and has no issues,I prefer swamp ash w rosewood on teles, but deals on them are very hard to find, almost better off buying one of those new and that will never happen.
After just buying a custom built tweed circuit Bassman, I can likely get by with just seven amps, I don't have a Tele and I get to help a friend, he'll likely want it back next year and if it goes down the road it will be gone. I sold two guitars I'll likely never get back a Guild Starfire from the sixties & Gibson ES 150 same era, I miss both of them.