1968 Deluxe Reverb I put back together

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

splgeo

1968 Deluxe Reverb I put back together

Post by splgeo »

Pickit it up and a cab and chassis. Added a 1971 reconed oxford 12t6-10, 1968 reverb tank, and recapped and changed the already changed resistors to carbon comp of the correct values
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splgeo

Re: 1968 Deluxe Reverb I put back together

Post by splgeo »

and some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

has original transformers
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

pots on the normal channel whre replave i changed the tone ones, to some that I had removed from a different build
xtian

Post by xtian »

Pine cab! How's she sound?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

sounds amazing. the 12t6 really helps instead of the 12k5. really tightens up the sound of the amp.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

all the power supply filter modes in that amp ( and many other Fenders) go down to one ground point near the PT.

For less hum split open the ground side and run a new separate ground back to the PT area for the last 2 preamp filters.
Then across the last preamp filter place a .22uf and a .022 uf cap across it both in parallel, these need to be rated for atleast 400 volts.
Enjoy the added detail in tone !
This is much cheaper then using Audiofile type caps that cost 25 bucks and up each!

Using one of bolts on the PT makes for a easy new grounding point if you use a crimp ring and a nut.

Just be sure that the bolt you choose on the PT is itself nice and tight and making a good ground!

You will find that you can also tune out if you will some idle hum if you have such by just turning up the controls on your unused channel some.
Since the two channels are out of phase adding in hum from the other channel phase cancels hun from the channel your playing thru!

Runnning a new sheilded cable from the input jack(s) to the first gain stage tube helps too as the volume gets cranked up, but ground the new cable only at the input jack end.

I also notice that you have one lug on the pilot lamp that's pretty close to shorting to the chassis, I would spin that back around and cable tie those wires so that can not move any more , or silicone glue down some electrical tape under it.

The Eminence Red fang speaker sounds killer in these amps with both hum buckers and single coils and are louder should you need some spare head room for playing live.

Speaking of Head Room only JJ brand output tubes have I found liking over 18ma of idle current other wise any other new or NOS tube gets too flabby in the bottom end when the amp is opened up to more than 5 or so on the volume control.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
didit

Post by didit »

Excellent set of suggestions Steve. Have you tried TAD STR 6V6? Of current production, those are the only other option that tolerate a higher bias current.

Depending on desired tone the Eminence Lil' Texas works well in that amp, and about half the weight.

Best .. Ian
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

no, I have not given the TADs a try, but the JJs are a real 14 watt tube so they stay tighter at a higher volume level in general.

I nice up grade I have done on a few max clean is to stuff in a Hammond 1650H output transformer .
It's got twice the iron mass for deep lows and unlike the original OT is interleaved wound for greater sensitivity.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
68strat

Post by 68strat »

Dear spigeo, thank you for posting. Very nice!
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

your welcome. I believe the Drip Edge is one of the best looking fender amp outs there.
didit

Post by didit »

Stevem wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 pm no, I have not given the TADs a try, but the JJs are a real 14 watt tube [...]
TAD also specs 14W.
TAD 6V6.jpg
I nice up grade I have done on a few max clean is to stuff in a Hammond 1650H output transformer .
It's got twice the iron mass for deep lows and unlike the original OT is interleaved wound for greater sensitivity.
Yup. 1650H is cool. Might recommend something a bit smaller. Their 1620 roughly 2x (~4x actually, as it scales cubic) is one used with good success, though not upgrading a Deluxe.

Best .. Ian