Fender Amp Book Suggestions?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Fender Amp Book Suggestions?

Post by dragonbat13 »

I am looking for a good book that has a lot of good information on the tweed amps particularly, but anything with the history of the amps, circuit changes, whatever. Doesn't have to specifically be about the circuit design, although I don't want to totally rule that out. Just looking for a darn good book about early fender tweed and maybe brownface/blackface era amps. Anything about Pre CBS.
martin manning

Re: Fender Amp Book Suggestions?

Post by martin manning »

Hands down the most complete Fender amp book is "The Soul of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years of Fender Amps." Comes with a CD containing audio clips. It has a few circuit diagrams and gut shots, but it's not a technical book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I like Dave Funk's Tube Amp Workbook - Vol 1, which is all about Fenders.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

martin manning wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:22 pm Hands down the most complete Fender amp book is "The Soul of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years of Fender Amps." Comes with a CD containing audio clips. It has a few circuit diagrams and gut shots, but it's not a technical book.
Would you consider it along the lines of this book, which I like, but I am not sure just how accurate it is. Cool book though.

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Golden-19 ... 1844036669

I have been considering Dave Funks book. Is it worth the fifty dollars?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Similar, I think. I don't have that one but I have flipped through it, and as I recall it is very nice. I passed since I have "The Stratocaster Chronicles: Celebrating 50 Years of the Fender Strat" by the same author as "The Soul of Tone." Sort of a matched set. Both of them are large beautiful books, in high quality bindings. There is also "Fender Amps, the First Fifty Years," by John Teagle. It's not as lavishly illustrated, but a bit more technical. "Fender: The Inside Story" by Forrest White is a good read too.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The Funk book is for people who want to learn to work on amps, and it assumes a limited prior knowledge of electronics. It does have a brief 15-page history of Fender amps, but that is not its purpose. You can get a very good idea of what is in it via the preview on Amazon.