5e3 Volume Interaction Problem

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

blackwhaleamp

5e3 Volume Interaction Problem

Post by blackwhaleamp »

Hi,

I juste built a 5E3 replica following exactly the original layout. It turns out that there is no interaction between the normal and bright channel. Even more, when I connect the guitar on the normal channel, and bring the bright pot to 12 the volume drops dramatically.

I checked that the bright input is properly connected to the correct part of the circuit.

Any idea about how to solve this?
Stevem

Re: 5e3 Volume Interaction Problem

Post by Stevem »

Do both channels work separately?
If so look for no ground on the normal channel volume pot.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
tictac

Post by tictac »

Interactive volume controls of the 5E3 volume controls is a beneficial thing to many guitar players. It allows you to dial in a, to quote Gerald Weber, "Better-than-Blackface" clean tone and a great lead tone as well. You might want to google Gerald Weber's article written for VG Magazine over a decade ago.... about interactive volume controls....

Also the volume pots on the 5E3 are wired backwards from the conventional way other amp designs do. The output of the first stage is tied to the volume pot wiper and the terminal opposite the ground lug is the output of the volume control....

TT
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I have found that the effect is very subtle in my 5E3 build. Also, when both volume pots are at the same position, there is a bit of a drop in volume. If I remember correctly (it has been a long time since I've played through mine). I prefer plugging the guitar into the #1 Bright input, then setting the Bright volume slightly lower than the Normal volume. Try Normal volume at 12, and Bright volume at about 8 ir 9. A VVR is a great addition to this amp, by the way.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

blackwhaleamp wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:05 pm... there is no interaction between the normal and bright channel. Even more, when I connect the guitar on the normal channel, and bring the bright pot to 12 the volume drops dramatically.
So there is some interaction? This is normal. If its not what you expect, recheck the wiring.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins