Question on Red know Twin ..Choke

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stratscratcher

Question on Red know Twin ..Choke

Post by Stratscratcher »

I acquired a Red Knob Twin chassis with no tubes, cabinet,etc... I have been recapping and doing most of the mods suggested by Zenrelic in his Red knob thread. So far, so good, no magic smoke escaped and it seems to be working pretty good.

The Red knob "The Twin" has a 4H 50MA choke (P/N 022707), most all Fender "big" amps that have 4 6L6's use a 4H 90MA choke (p/n 22699).
the 50MA choke is used in the Deluxe and other mid sized amps.... At this point I haven't measured the current on the choke to actually see whats happening.

My question to anybody out there is: Does 50ma choke for a 100W 4 tube 6L6 amp seem a little weak? Granted if is, I probably wouldn't notice until I have the vol on 11. I do like the idea of beefing up the power supply section in general.
martin manning

Re: Question on Red know Twin ..Choke

Post by martin manning »

In that amp the choke only feeds the power tube screens, not everything except the power tube plates as in a Twin Reverb. Seems like 50mA would be adequate in that scenario.
Stratscratcher

Re: Question on Red know Twin ..Choke

Post by Stratscratcher »

That is what I see in the schematic, I suspect 90ma a little more than needed on the Silver faced Twins. Then subtract the load from the preamp tubes ..
Thanks for the response...