Silverface Trem tic.

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Silverface Trem tic.

Post by Stevem »

Last night I just got done killing this tic issue.

It seems on these amps and for most folks that doing the added cap trick that knocks the tic down by 50% is good enough for most folks, but this customer was the dictionary definition of a nit picker so I had to do more!

I found that the more I turned down the master volume while listening to the amp thru headphones the louder the Trem tic got!
The cause I found was the wire that goes from the end of the .022 cap in the string of 3 caps to the speed pot was the offender!

I unsoldered this green wire from the cap , pulled it out of the mass of wires that it was part of and then ran it across the Amps PI section and back to its connection on the .022 uf cap, the result is the nit picker is happy and indeed under headphone listening the tic is fully gone!
Last edited by Stevem on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Re: Silverface Trem tic.

Post by martin manning »

Good tip, and I agree the lead you mention from the 0.22 cap is going to be the biggest problem due to the high signal level present, maybe 200V pp.
Stevem

Re: Silverface Trem tic.

Post by Stevem »

Thanks Martin!
I hope this saves many folks some 40 minutes of scratching there head!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!