Odd 6G2 Bias Trem Problem

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Odd 6G2 Bias Trem Problem

Post by martin manning »

I believe sliberty is still around, so maybe he can give us an update on the solution. I can't understand where you had connected the preamp filter positive such it would be involved with the foot switch. You are referring to the point marked "A" on the Fender 6G2 layout drawing, correct?
fdesalvo

Post by fdesalvo »

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I have the same issue now with a customer's botched 6G2 clone. With no FS in, the amp emits a terribly loud oscillating sound similar to a cap charging and discharging. I've seen no closure on any threads regarding this particular issue. This chump is stumped!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Not sure if my situation is the same, but I somewhat ran into that on a recent build. I had a shorting jack installed that would ground the circuit with nothing plugged in, and howl terribly. However, with a footswitch, it was fine. My solution was to just use a traditional, non-shorting jack. I realize that may not be the solution you wanted, but it worked for me.
fdesalvo

Post by fdesalvo »

Thanks for weighing in. With the footswitch in, does the amp howl?
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Nope. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it doesn't. I don't know if it's the extra capacitance of the cable making a difference, sheer dumb luck, or what, but with the cable/footswitch, it operates as it should.
fdesalvo

Post by fdesalvo »

The mysteries of Leo