Q: Super Reverb

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Q: Super Reverb

Post by Colossal »

Can anyone please tell me the thickness of the pine stock used on the Super Reverb 4x10 combo shell? Also, how thick is the plywood baffle and is it floating or dadoed into the shell?

Thanks in advance for any help.
didit

Re: Q: Super Reverb

Post by didit »

Hello -

The Super has the same basic construction as all Blackface. That may help. Finger-joined 3/4" pine board box. Baffle is 1/2" ply, but unless "true vintage" is the goal one might choose 5/8" even 3/4". Someone else might be able to confirm wood content. I would not call the baffle floating at least not like a tweed, but no dado either. It's fastened with screws to 1"x3/4" cleats glued into the box running the length of the sides up to bottom edge for the chassis.

Here's a Princeton plan found a while back. You would need to scale it to Super dimensions but all the Blackface combo construction basics are captured. It illustrates 3/4" sq. cleat, but my '64 Super has definitely 1"x3/4".
Princeton cabinet plans.jpg
Best .. Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

didit wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm The Super has the same basic construction as all Blackface. That may help. Finger-joined 3/4" pine board box. Baffle is 1/2" ply, but unless "true vintage" is the goal one might choose 5/8" even 3/4". Someone else might be able to confirm wood content. I would not call the baffle floating at least not like a tweed, but no dado either. It's fastened with screws to 1"x3/4" cleats glued into the box running the length of the sides up to bottom edge for the chassis.

Here's a Princeton plan found a while back. You would need to scale it to Super dimensions but all the Blackface combo construction basics are captured. It illustrates 3/4" sq. cleat, but my '64 Super has definitely 1"x3/4".

Best .. Ian
Hi Ian,

Thanks a lot, this is just what I needed to know; pine shell thickness, cleats, and baffle ply thickness. Very helpful, thanks!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

What year is the amp?
With some of the very late black face amps fender started to glue together section of pine to make the cabinet sides and top ( nothing going to waste!) and then with the silverface face amps with the removable grill section the baffle boards where made of particle board and stapled and glued in.

Personally, I like the sound of the glued in particle baffle better then the floating one, it also makes the overall cabinet far more ridged!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
didit

Post by didit »

Hello -

Yes, the Silverface and some late Blackface have those changes. Quite happy with my '64, which is solid and sounds great even after 50 plus years. Seen a few too many powdering particle-board baffles with speakers dangling.

When building a cabinet to hold my Princeton sized chassis the baffle will be 5/8" baltic ply cleated along the bottom and sides. Likely fastened with glue & screws. And with a floating frame for the cloth -- cosmetically drip-edge in style.

Best .. Ian
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hi Steve and Ian,

I have been researching '64-65 Blackface Supers, both the circuit and the cabinet construction. I am considering building a 4x10 open back extension cab and wanted to get the construction right to get the same airy, punchy sound.
didit

Post by didit »

Colossal wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm I have been researching '64-65 Blackface Supers, both the circuit and the cabinet construction. I am considering building a 4x10 open back extension cab and wanted to get the construction right to get the same airy, punchy sound.
Excellent. Should some specifics be helped with a photo or two let me know. Nothing destructive obviously.

Best .. Ian
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

didit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm
Colossal wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm I have been researching '64-65 Blackface Supers, both the circuit and the cabinet construction. I am considering building a 4x10 open back extension cab and wanted to get the construction right to get the same airy, punchy sound.
Excellent. Should some specifics be helped with a photo or two let me know. Nothing destructive obviously.

Best .. Ian
Thanks a lot Ian, that's very kind! Right now, I am working on a scale drawng for a 24" x 24" x 10.5" (or 11") open backed extension cab. Dr. Z and Allen Amps both offer a very similar kind of cab.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

What do you mean by 4-10 extension cabinet?
Let me tell you this about any tube amp with more then 4 drivers on its output stage , 8-10" drivers if wired for the right impedance will be loud ( maybe not a problem ) but the inductance of all of those voice coils will make the amp sound very muddy and change the response time / feel of the output stage unless that's what your looking for
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
didit

Post by didit »

Was assuming this is 4x10" cabinet to go with a head. Similar to the Alessandro AZZ that Derek Trucks has been using, but not $12K.

Best .. Ian
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments. I can see how what I said might be misleading. Ian's got it; a 4x10 cab to pair with a head. Yes, and not $12k! :lol: