Jerry Garcia's 1969 Deluxe Reverb

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Jerry Garcia's 1969 Deluxe Reverb

Post by Bombacaototal »

dreric wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:00 am ... The dreaded chocolate drops are present..
Hi Dreric, why are the choco drops dreaded?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Have a Google at that. You'll find quite a range of opinions.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Bombacaototal wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 am
dreric wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:00 am ... The dreaded chocolate drops are present..
Of all the Fender caps they have the most controversial reputation. My goal with this amp is to leave them alone.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

dreric wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 am
Of all the Fender caps they have the most controversial reputation. My goal with this amp is to leave them alone.
Got it! Probably why Dumble moved on from them after the “pre-production” era..
dreric

Post by dreric »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:40 am

??? Dumble has always been a 6PS man.
Eric
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

dreric wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Not really. Check Odyssey, Winterland and pre production ODS
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

OK, here is my list of "dreaded" coupling capacitors found in vintage Fender amps (in order).
1). Red Astrons found in mid fifties tweed amps. These are the worst for leakage. Customer brings you his, just purchased for top dollar, all original tweed amp and you know in the back of your mind that all or most of the caps are going to have to be replaced. I really dread that.
2). Yellow Astrons found in mid to late fifties tweed amps. Same as above but not quite as bad. They sound great and there still are some hanging in there but most are leaking to some degree at this point. The bummer is some of the amp owners like the sound of their amps with leaking caps. If they want them left in, its their amplifier but they get warned about leaking power tube couplers taking out their tubes.
3). Maroon Paktron as found in 1969-1971 amplifiers. Don't really dread these at all. I like the sound of them and yes you find some leaky ones but you are not severly devaluating an amplifier by replacing ones that need to be replaced. Gee you can actually be a repairman. :D
Not trying to start any internet rumors. Just my experience.
CW
dreric

Post by dreric »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:35 pm
dreric wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Not really. Check Odyssey, Winterland and pre production ODS
You're right. I tend to think of those amps as one offs and the efforts of a young Dumble finding his niche. Once he found his groove then 6PS.
Eric
modman

Post by modman »

As far as the coupling caps go -- you can easily check how they are doing by checking for DC leakage.
If there was smoke, it's more probably a burnt resistor than a capacitor.

Are there pictures of Jerry playing this amp?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 am OK, here is my list of "dreaded" coupling capacitors found in vintage Fender amps (in order)...
Good info, thanks CW! IMO leaky is bad; out they go! Replace with something comparable if the amp is to be played. If someone says he likes the sound of leaky caps, he is probably listening to his wallet. I think the original "dreaded" comment here may have been with respect to tone, but both are issues around which there are some strong opinions.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Gaelic Park Aug 26, 1971
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
modman

Post by modman »

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by modman on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreric

Post by dreric »

modman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 am As far as the coupling caps go -- you can easily check how they are doing by checking for DC leakage.
If there was smoke, it's more probably a burnt resistor than a capacitor.

Are there pictures of Jerry playing this amp?
The source of the smoke:
IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1055.jpg
Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 am Deric, I think the 20uf might tighten things up slightly but I don't think it will make a big difference. I personally prefer to keep vintage amps as stock as possible, so I would lean towards the 16uf. I am curious, is the 47pf bright cap still on the vibrato channel volume and is there any changes to the 6.8k resistors on the back of the bass pots?
CW
Charlie, I'm staying with 16uf. The 6.8Ks and 47pf are intact.
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Considering Randall Smith has serviced the amp, I'm looking for mods............

Other than all the 100K resistors are 1 watts I'm not seeing much, but I'm not much of a mod guy.

For those that are interested, here's some better shots of the main board.
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg
Eric