Turning a 60W solid state into a 6V6 bassman

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

smuc

Turning a 60W solid state into a 6V6 bassman

Post by smuc »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and my first thread, but I hope that at least someone will find it interesting or useful. :)

At the end of last year I embarked on a journey of building my first tube amp from a kit, and even before that one was finished I already started thinking what would be my next project. Without knowing what I would build, I started looking for a cheap amp that I would later turn into something cool without spending a fortune on a cabinet or headshell.

Lucky as I was, I stumbled upon a dirt cheap solid state head which seemed to fit the bill. The donor was a Hartke GT60 head, which seemed a good fit for a small tube amp.
hartke-gt60-head-xl.jpg
I was always intrigued by the Tweed Bassman sound, but the 40 something watts had always put me off - especially because I rarely play my 20W tube amps past 3.

The question was - can this small headshell with only 18cm inner height house a 6V6 Bassman? To the drawing board!
Capture1.JPG
Looks like we have a winner! The new project will be a 5F6A inspired amp, using two 6V6s and Deluxe Reverb iron, with some mods from robrobinette.com:
  • 3 way NFB
  • Frondelli master volume
  • Bias pot
  • Solid State / Tube rectification
Photos of progress to follow soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Bones

Re: Turning a 60W solid state into a 6V6 bassman

Post by Tony Bones »

Looks very cool! The 5F6A is a great circuit. My recommendation is to separate the cathodes of the two input stages so that you can voice them differently. Then when you jumper the two channels you can adjust the two volume controls to mix to taste. There's magic in that method. :twisted: At least leave enough extra turrets on your board so that you can try it later.

Example: https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... r_1988.gif
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I really like these conversion projects. I'll be following. Keep us posted.
smuc

Post by smuc »

Tony Bones wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 pm Looks very cool! The 5F6A is a great circuit. My recommendation is to separate the cathodes of the two input stages so that you can voice them differently. Then when you jumper the two channels you can adjust the two volume controls to mix to taste. There's magic in that method. :twisted: At least leave enough extra turrets on your board so that you can try it later.

Example: https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... r_1988.gif
Thanks for the tip! I have separate V1 cathodes on a 18W JMP that I built from a kit. The normal channel is very dark and useless on its own but when bridged, the combination is interesting.

For this project I will keep the shared cathode as a start, and maybe experiment with a split cathode if I will not like the outcome.
smuc

Post by smuc »

The chassis had arrived so I did a quick fit test.
image2.jpeg
Protective foil removed, power transformer and sockets installed.
IMG_3554.JPG
Rectifier wired up, heater filaments are next:
image1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smuc

Post by smuc »

Bias circuit done:
580F8AFB-0404-4DC5-876C-C62A70EFC6DD.jpeg
PI with no grid leak resistors, which will be the MV pot:
3D869FE0-00CE-40FA-A774-C2A7B15FED3B.jpeg
Just realized I have not ordered mixing resistors :roll:
BD0DC377-FA47-4A6F-9336-A6FA4AAABFE6.jpeg
smuc

Post by smuc »

Question on the PSU, if someone knows your help will be appreciated! :)

I wanted to put a 5y3 rectifier but the specs sheet has 20uF as input capacitance. I have 2x22úF as a standard 5F6 installed, can I still use 5Y3 or do I need to go for a GZ34?

Also, making some progress...
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

You can make it work if you wire it up such that one / the first 20 uf cap is the resuvour cap and then you place the standby switch feeding the next 20 uf cap.

With a 6V6 type amp putting out 15 to 18 watts your gonna be pretty close to getting the 60 volt B+ drop that these 5Y3 rectos make so in that regard you might want to go with a 5AR4 as Fender did in later Deluxe reverbs!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
smuc

Post by smuc »

Hi Stevem, thanks for the answer! I put the caps exactly as they are in the 5f6 schematic and tried it with the gz34 and I am happy with the outcome as the amp is not too stiff.

Still some cosmetics to do, but sonically I would say that the amp has passed the test. Here are my first impressions:

The good:
  • Amp sounds great in most of the settings, and the NFB switch, rectification switch and the MV really make it easy to tweak in a nice palette of different sounds.
The bad:
  • Amp is quite bassy past seeting 2 on the bass, but hey - it‘s a bassman :)
  • When MV is flat out, and volumes above 7-8 the distorsion produced is a bit fizzy in the upper frequencies. Not sure if this is the result of no poweramp grid resistors, or the fact that the signal is too strong for the 6v6 tubes. My bias is at 18mA per tube, but under heavy load my multimeter shows a max of 80mA per tube. Not sure if this is something I should be worried about?
BA4AE565-0836-4D3F-9128-3C0C0CD4B9A4.jpeg
59A667AC-4C25-42BE-A514-07E3CB9B9BC8.jpeg
1997ED44-5B60-492C-812D-6D62699ABB0F.jpeg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Super nice looking build.

Mark
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

looking good smuc!
smuc

Post by smuc »

Thanks guys! The project is slowly coming to an end...
E90E2CD1-E3B4-4A0D-B532-67E9C2958F6E.JPG
However, I still need to do a bit of tweaking of the circuit. The sound is way too bassy, the clean sounds good but the overdrive sound is nothing spectacular. Also, when I hit the amp with the Fuzz Face on the last rehearsal the HT fuse went out. Since I used the 5F6A schematic with 6V6 tubes and appropriate iron, I guess I need to adjust the preamp signal for the 6V6s.

Any tips on reducing the boominess? V1 cap? Coupling caps?
xtian

Post by xtian »

You can certainly trim the bass with coupling caps and/or cathode bypass caps. Please point to the schematic you used so we can be specific.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
smuc

Post by smuc »

xtian wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:49 pm You can certainly trim the bass with coupling caps and/or cathode bypass caps. Please point to the schematic you used so we can be specific.
I was working roughly by this schematic: https://www.tube-town.net/cms/userfiles ... -schem.pdf

With some adjustments:
  • PP tail 6.8K
  • 6V6 grid stoppers 1.5K
xtian

Post by xtian »

First and most obvious target is C13 and C14, the 0.1uF post-PI coupling caps. Replace those with 0.02uF and see how it sounds. Next would be to replace the 820R shared cathode resistor R7 with individual 1K5 resistors, bypassing the bright side (C1) with 0.68uF, and the normal side with 25uF.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com