Incestuous Marriage?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The Ballzz

Re: Incestuous Marriage?

Post by The Ballzz »

And yeah, I know the face and rear plates don't match the circuit! P-Touch labels have been grudgingly applied for now!
Gene
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

That's interesting and the outcome looks pretty clean for what's something of a prototype... 8)

Some comments about the addition of a choke: how worthy this is, meaning did you make some before/after comparison?
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:00 am That's interesting and the outcome looks pretty clean for what's something of a prototype... 8)

Some comments about the addition of a choke: how worthy this is, meaning did you make some before/after comparison?
Thanks for the compliment!

I was going to do a with/without comparison, but it sounds so good with, I figured why fix something that ain't broken and maybe make a mess while I'm at it!

And did I mention that this amp is dead silent! I think I've become a fan of the "0" volt common grounding scheme! Besides the AC main input, there is only one connection of the circuit "common" to the chassis. Then any shields get connected to the chassis (but not to the circuit), considering it one shielding system. First time I've used it and the quietest build I've done to date!

Just Tweedin'
Gene
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Well the choke may well be responsible for the silence of the amp, too.

Keep Tweedin' Gene... 8)
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

ChopSauce wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:23 am Well the choke may well be responsible for the silence of the amp, too.

Keep Tweedin' Gene... 8)
As for the choke, I'm not sure or not if it is responsible for the nice, springy, bouncy feel and response, but the touch sensitivity is pretty amazing. Even guitars with standard wiring (no treble bleeds, etc.) lose very little high end when turning them down to "clean up" the sound, although just lightening up on the picking does a great job also, while leaving all that glorious harmonic feedback capability!!

Ya know, I 'm surprised that you are the only one to show any actual interest in this amp. It's truly a lower wattage version of the highly revered Low Power 5E8-A Tweed Twin, with the added modern touch of a supremely functional Granger Effects Loop, for adding a bit of reverb, etc. Being a synchronized, tap tempo, delay/echo junkie, a great loop is critical for me! So cool to have fantastic, genuine, classic Tweed sounds, with added, modern conveniences! And while the Master volume works as expected, for now it is kind of a "White Elephant" but may be useful in the future, if I ever have to replace my current Lexicon MX300, delay/reverb unit with something different!

Thanks For Playin'
Gene
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

To get some preamp overdrive with the master volume, move it to between the 12AX7 common cathode gain stage and the cathodyne. An extra coupling cap, eg 0.022uF, will be necessary.
I’m pleased it’s working out nicely for you, especially with the 0V common wire and its a single connection to the chassis.
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

pdf64 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:10 pm To get some preamp overdrive with the master volume, move it to between the 12AX7 common cathode gain stage and the cathodyne. An extra coupling cap, eg 0.022uF, will be necessary.
I’m pleased it’s working out nicely for you, especially with the 0V common wire and its a single connection to the chassis.
That's a really good idea! Next time I get it open, I'll give that a try, but for now I'm simply enjoying all that it already has to offer! It had me playing early Joe Walsh that I haven't played in +30 years and even inspired some improvements in my slide playing senses! I'm horrible at slide, and never subject anyone else to hearing it! I even tried some NOS 12AX7s in V1 & V2 and it definitely changes the character a bit! Not sure if its for the good or bad, in the long run? I had initially tried only one 12AX7 in one channel and was not pleased, then it dawned on me that with the shared cathode, just one would not be happy! I'm eager to try it in a band setting, as opposed to just playin' with myself! :lol:

Thanks Folks,
Gene
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Cool idea. Any sound clips? I’ve never heard sound from a 3 x 12AY7 preamp. I suppose I could just go swap some tubes…

I recently built a 5F4 Super and am curious what you get with the 100K resistor change in your EQ?

I’m building a 5F8A combo right now. I’m hoping I don’t get arrested.
Just plug it in, man.