'63 Blonde Bassman 6G6B

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Re: '63 Blonde Bassman 6G6B

Post by ChopSauce »

What a beauty... 8)

Sure it sounds awesome and thanks for the tips!
Mark

Post by Mark »

That looks awesome, where did you get the chassis and faceplate from. They are impossible to get now. I got one from TAD years ago for the Bassman 100 I rebuilt this year.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 pm What a beauty... 8)

Sure it sounds awesome and thanks for the tips!
Thanks you, ChopSauce, that is very kind.
Mark wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:27 am That looks awesome, where did you get the chassis and faceplate from. They are impossible to get now. I got one from TAD years ago for the Bassman 100 I rebuilt this year.
Thanks a lot, Mark. I actually got the chassis from Mark Fowler, but I believe he might have gotten it either from Mike Marsh/Marsh Amplification or this guy on Ebay that sells replica Fender chassis. I think he goes by Zachmdhunter or something like that. Perhaps Mark will chime in. I should mention that I had the chassis and cap pan bead blasted and coated at a local coatings shop to remove the tooling marks and make it extra nice and not rust.
katopan

Post by katopan »

So happy to see this amp come together. You've done a great job as expected, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Glad you like the bass channel after all of my carry on. Sounds like the sweep and performance of Martin's tapped treble pot replacement circuit is better than the weird taper of the new versions.

What speakers and cab config are you running it through?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I’ve written to Mike Marsh and never gotten a reply. I’ll try the other guy. As far as speakers go, the Celestion Vintage 30’s have been popular as Brian Setzer uses them. The Bassman cab has been criticised for being too small for the 2 X 12” speakers. I have one loaded with Kendrick speakers and I can’t complain, though I don’t know any differently.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It's a real beauty, Dave, nicely done!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Mark wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:27 am That looks awesome, where did you get the chassis and faceplate from. They are impossible to get now. I got one from TAD years ago for the Bassman 100 I rebuilt this year.
Here's a very authentic-looking option: http://www.solandfa.com/products-Bassma ... is-Kit.asp
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

martin manning wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm It's a real beauty, Dave, nicely done!
Thanks a lot, Martin! The treble pot works nicely.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Such a good job Dave, love your amp.

The chassis/plates I got from Mike Marsh and other chassis and cap cans I got from ebay Zachmdhunder.

Mark
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:58 pm Such a good job Dave, love your amp.

The chassis/plates I got from Mike Marsh and other chassis and cap cans I got from ebay Zachmdhunder.

Mark
Thanks Mark, and thanks again for the chassis. It was a rewarding project.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Wow!! Dave that just looks amazing. Really beautiful build.

:mrgreen:

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Thanks Marcus!
Bergheim

Post by Bergheim »

Nice build! I've come to like the brownface and the way it fills the sweet spot between the tweed and blackface sound more and more lately.
Although it's a dumble mod (I'm not a fan of the dumble overdrive), the PI balance pot intrigues me quite a lot.
You don't happen to have any sound clips of before/after adjusting the balance, or even better WHILE you adjust it?
I once installed a 25k pot between the (4k7) tail and cathode resistor to hear if different tail voltages (and thus PI balance) sounded any different. To a certain degree it does the same job as the balance pot to level out the plate voltages. However, to me anyway, the different tail voltages didn't make any audible differences, but I may have turned the pot too fast to note any possible sweet spots as the sweet spot apparently is in a very small range. :?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bergheim wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:45 pm Nice build! I've come to like the brownface and the way it fills the sweet spot between the tweed and blackface sound more and more lately.
Although it's a dumble mod (I'm not a fan of the dumble overdrive), the PI balance pot intrigues me quite a lot.
You don't happen to have any sound clips of before/after adjusting the balance, or even better WHILE you adjust it?
No, I'm sorry, I don't have any clips. I kind of doubt it would be audible. You can hear the effect when you are standing in front of the amp and turning the trimmer. The sound gets a little thicker and wider. For what it's worth, I maxed out the trimmer to +6VDC to the inverting side.
Bergheim

Post by Bergheim »

Colossal wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:03 pm No, I'm sorry, I don't have any clips. I kind of doubt it would be audible. You can hear the effect when you are standing in front of the amp and turning the trimmer. The sound gets a little thicker and wider. For what it's worth, I maxed out the trimmer to +6VDC to the inverting side.
Okay, thanks. It may be the same thing I think I noticed when adjusting the tail voltage.