Gretsch G5222 Champ 5F1 conversion

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

smuc

Gretsch G5222 Champ 5F1 conversion

Post by smuc »

Hi folks,

Seems I've been bitten by a Tube bug as it seems I cannot stop making more tube amps for fun :roll:

After a 18W plexi, a 6V6 Bassman and a Tweed Champ it's time for an another Champ. The last one I made sounded amazing and I was kind of sorry to have sold it. I even got my hands on the 57 Champ reissue from Fender and I still feel that my build sounded a bit better. Now... a few weeks back I got a Gretsch G5222 as a trade in and it sounded like crap and hummed like nobody's business. After a few evenings of planning the build, I decided to rebuild the thing to 5F1 with true point to point with solder lugs. I have never done it before and truth be told I was a bit lazy to make my own turretboard that would fit into the chassis.

Anyway, I finished the build within a few days and am happy with the results. Maybe the gain of the first stage is a bit weak but I intentionally skipped the cathode bypass since it sounded better like that in my previous build (and I use the 12AX7 instead of the AY. I'll give it a second chance this weekend with this one and see how it works. Also, as I used the transformers from the Gretsch, rectifier is solid state. I planned a tube sag resistor but whichever value I tried it always sounded best without it.

Anyway, here's a quick and dirty video of the thing. The gutshots will follow soon...

P.S. it has a Jensen 8' speaker in ;)

dbharris

Re: Gretsch G5222 Champ 5F1 conversion

Post by dbharris »

Sounds great! Really nice edge of breakup tone.

-Dan
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

tried to snag one of these cheap to do something similar but the seller wouldn't bite
there's something about a simple 12ax7 single-ended amp that is just perfect. I've been using my 6l6g vibrochamp build with 10" speaker for the majority of my recording, save the super heavy chuggy stuff

sounds great, now crank it 🤗
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
smuc

Post by smuc »

From the inside...
IMG_5377.JPG

And the soundclip of the amp cranked. Miked, with a splash of compression and EQ.
Champ_Ohio.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Nice little amp... 8)

Which Jensen speaker did you use: a C8R?
smuc

Post by smuc »

ChopSauce wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:11 pm Nice little amp... 8)

Which Jensen speaker did you use: a C8R?
Merci! :)

Yes, I the C8R is in.

Also, as the champ is perfect for that, today I did a bit of fiddling and tuning the amp. Now it's exactly the way I want it to be! :)

Changes:
Added V1 Cathode resistor (22u) - I omitted this one in my last champ build, but for whatever reason this one desperately needed it.
Added bright cap to the volume knob (200pF) - Maybe it's the darker speaker, but the "original" version sounded quite dark for my taste when running clean.
Added 150ohm resistor in series with the original 470 6V6 cathode bias resistor. Tried without it, with 100ohm, 150ohm and 200ohm and adding the 150 gave the best result to my ear.

Extra: added the Palmer PDI-09 DI box and mounted it inside the cabinet so now I have a grab and go practice, recording and live amp ;)

I will post a few videos later.
smuc

Post by smuc »

Here's the video with the "mods", recorded through Palmer.