New Princeton Reverb build--Low B+ post -GZ34

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: New Princeton Reverb build--Low B+ post -GZ34

Post by ViperDoc »

CHOPSTICKING FOR THE WIN!

I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet, but I found my adjustable NFB resistors were uncomfortably close to a ground tab. I moved them and now the amp, as far as I can tell, sounds great. I'll give it a more thorough run-through for sure.

I had hoped to record the outage I was hearing and recorded a whole new noise issue instead. If you're interested, here's what it sounded like before and after, complete with unpolished guitar :mrgreen: :

Before chop sticking (BONUS: hear the difference in minimum tremolo speed between stock bypass cap and a red LED):
PR2 Weird Sounds.m4a
After chop sticking (BONUS: Hear different pickup/NFB settings while pushing the PR circuit--no pedals, just the amp):
PR2 After Chop sticking.m4a
All of your help is indeed much appreciated. Looks like I may have a spare PR OT for another chassis. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Nice, hope you've found it. The trem sounds great! The bias varying system is dependent upon where the bias is set, as you found out, but when adjusted properly it produces a better effect than the neon/LDR IMO. It came in with the '63 Vibroverb, and the PR was the only BF amp that kept it AFAIK.
didit

Post by didit »

martin manning wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:17 pm Nice, hope you've found it. The trem sounds great! The bias varying system is dependent upon where the bias is set, as you found out, but when adjusted properly it produces a better effect than the neon/LDR IMO. It came in with the '63 Vibroverb, and the PR was the only BF amp that kept it AFAIK.
That does now sound great, tremolo and all. Vibro Champ might qualify though it's bias vary in the second preamp section.

Best .. Ian
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

didit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 pmVibro Champ might qualify though it's bias vary in the second preamp section.

Best .. Ian
Ok I stand corrected... PR is the only PP amp with bias vary trem ;^)
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks, guys!
Just plug it in, man.