Clicking noise in princeton reverb clone

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Clicking noise in princeton reverb clone

Post by rutledj »

I recently built this PR clone based on the AA1164 circuit using the layout from Hoffman amps. The amp is picking up or producing a fast clicking noise. If I move to certain areas of the room the noise goes away. It is the loudest when I move away from the amp. I've tried grounding out different preamp inputs but the only thing that stops it is grounding the input of the phase inverter tube.

Changing tremolo speed\intensity has no affect. Reverb control has no affect except that I can tell the signal is going through the reverb tank when I turn the reverb level up. Tried grounding the input, disconnecting the tremolo circuit, Plugged into an AC conditioning power supply, swapped tubes. None of these affect it.

I posted a short video of the amp. You can see as I move, the clicking stops.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GiPGjWmZkgYobTHg7

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rut
rutledj

Re: Clicking noise in princeton reverb clone

Post by rutledj »

Well, definitely something in this particular room. Took it to another room and no clicking. I have everything in the offending room turned off except for my cable modem and wifi router. I'm guessing that they must be the culprits. Not sure what to do about that.
Stevem

Re: Clicking noise in princeton reverb clone

Post by Stevem »

If you get a ground lift adapter does the issue go away?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!