Handling Unused Triodes in 12A?7 tubes

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Handling Unused Triodes in 12A?7 tubes

Post by ViperDoc »

In amps that use, say, only three out of four available triodes in a preamp (i.e. Trainwreck Express, Princeton Reverb with deleted tremolo...), what is the proper way to handle the unused 1/2 of a 12A?7?

1) left unconnected to anything?
2) all pins (i.e. pins 1-3) connected to ground? If so, which ground? Their own ground? Preamp ground bus?

Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
Stevem

Re: Handling Unused Triodes in 12A?7 tubes

Post by Stevem »

If there’s no connections there’s no worries!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I was looking at a schematic supposedly for a Dr. Zed Z-Wreck and noted that the V1B triode is grounded on every pin. I've never built an amp with an unused triode, so I have no idea if it's "sixes", or otherwise. Check this out:
ZWRECK REV 1-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Post by xtian »

It's common for us to leave them (the unused triode's pins) unconnected. I have heard of folks grounding them to prevent unwanted noise. No idea if this has ever solved anyone's issue, but there you go.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
jubal81

Post by jubal81 »

Never really understood the point of that. Running two devices in parallel should reduce noise by 3db, so why not parallel the input triode?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

UNUSED TRIODE!!

ARE YOU INSANE!!!??

(carry on)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Just out of curiosity: how about not heating the triode as well. That way no nothing, right?
jubal81 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:26 pmRunning two devices in parallel should reduce noise by 3db, so why not parallel the input triode?
That's noted, thanks! I'm curious (too) at how much more gain it will produce... :?:
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Yes, not heating an unused triode section seems the obvious thing to do, but everyone seems to connect up all heaters by default.
According to Tomer etc, long periods of being heated but at 0 cathode current will cause reduced emission due to cathode interface resistance. ie so a heated but unused valve section might lose potential functionality somewhat faster than the used section.
If valves were soldered in place then so what, but swapping them around is a basic fault finding technique, and also people like to experiment with the tonality of different valves.

Whatever, it seems good practice to tie / reference all electrodes of an unused section to 0V. It seems something of an oversight to obsess about the cap outer foil orientation yet overlook that.
jubal81 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:26 pm Never really understood the point of that. Running two devices in parallel should reduce noise by 3db, so why not parallel the input triode?
I seem to recall reading Merlin putting forward the argument that the 3dB S/N improvement was a theoretical max, and the real world benefit is practically nonexistent.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Here...

What if the unused side of the triode is the good side of half the tubes you would use around 50% of the time?

(carry on.. try not to think about it..)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

In amps that use, say, only three out of four available triodes in a preamp (i.e. Trainwreck Express, Princeton Reverb with deleted tremolo...), what is the proper way to handle the unused 1/2 of a 12A?7?
3) Use it for a one-triode tremolo. 8)
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

One triode tremolo ... :?:

I wish I knew how to do that ... :P
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

If it’s a push pull amp, consider https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... _ga16t.pdf
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

ChopSauce wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:05 pm One triode tremolo ... :?:

I wish I knew how to do that ... :P
Here's my favorite one tube tremolo. Includes sound demos from some TAG members...

http://sluckeyamps.com/trem/trem.htm
didit

Post by didit »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:08 pm Princeton Reverb with deleted tremolo...
As redundant as an unused triode, but one could borrow the design off -- 6G2 Princeton schematic.

Plausibly best correct and economical answer is --
ViperDoc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:17 pm ... schematic supposedly for a Dr. Zed Z-Wreck and noted that the V1B triode is grounded on every pin.
Or even better --
Reeltarded wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:36 am (carry on)
Best .. Ian