Princeton reverb build. Speaker

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Delidroid

Princeton reverb build. Speaker

Post by Delidroid »

Hello. I’m half way through building a Deluxe 5E3 kit and I want to order another Kit before I finish this one. (I have a buyer, I’m not rich).
The next project is a Princeton reverb. I have a choice of cabinets, 10” or 12” Speaker. I have no idea what the difference is in terms of sound or volume etc. The speaker I would probably use is a WGS one as I loved the sound in a Champ compared to the Jensen.
Stevem

Re: Princeton reverb build. Speaker

Post by Stevem »

If your using a Princeton size cab and just playing at home volume levels and using it for recording your not going get the full benefits of stuffing a 12” driver in that size cab!

I would go with the 10” and then line the 2 sides the floor and the lower back cover with sound absorption lining which will help the cab sound bigger and just call it a day!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If your using a Princeton size cab and just playing at home volume levels and using it for recording your not going get the full benefits of going thru the job stuffing a 12” driver in that size cab!

I would go with the 10” and then line the 2 sides the floor and the lower back cover with sound absorption lining which will help the cab sound bigger and just call it a day!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I always prefer 12s. I even use one in my Champ Reverb and even though I play at very low volumes, I think the sound is much better (for my style). It's personal taste of course. The Champ has a Celestion G1265 (I know, crazy, right?), and I have an Eminence JS1250 (Josh Smith Signature) in the Princeton Reverb, which is also fantastic. If you ever want to turn up, the 12s are nice. I've gigged with a drummer with the Champ.
I bought a couple of different 10s to try that folks seem to like, but they didn't cut it for me.
I have ordered a Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" to try out as recommended by Duke Levine (in an interview), who in my opinion has incredible tone. I will report back.
He also recommends the Cannabis Rex 10", but I'll stick with the 12s
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Check out Rob Robinette's AA1164 page for 12-inch speaker mods and others.
Just plug it in, man.
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

I just posted samples of my build with a 15" in the Donut Princess thread.
We build because we must.
Emiel

Post by Emiel »

It depends what you want to achieve with the amp. If you plan to use it at home only, a 10 inch speaker will suffice. If you are going to gig with it, and you have a loud band, you'd properly like an efficient 12 inch speaker. I generally like to use American Jensen-style speakers with Fenders though some Celestions do match pretty well.

For at home and small and quieter gigs, my pick would be the Jensen P10R-F. Louder and still 10 inch: Eminence GA10-SC64. Loud and 12 inch: the Eminence GA12-SC64 or if you want to go British, maybe a Celestion Alnico Blue.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I use a Weber Blue Dog 12" in Princeton builds.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

Eminence Ragin Cajun. Best speaker I've heard in decades.
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I made mine oversize and use a 12 inch Cannabis Rex in there. really nicely balanced speaker IMHO.

M
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I received and installed the Cannabis Rex 12" that I mentioned a few post back and will report that it is a great speaker for the Princeton... concurring with norburybrook. It is a bit darker than the Eminence JS1250 I replaced, but as it breaks in, it is becoming more open. Lots of rich overtones and a more tame treble, so I can use my brighter Tele without that ice-pickieness we all dread. Really cool speaker. It seems very balanced, without a flabby low end, and without a spiky high end. A keeper. I will try the JS1250 in the '73 Deluxe Reverb I recently acquired, which currently has a very very heavy JBL in it. Sounds great, but not something I want to lug around.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Warehouse ET-65 is also a solid choice.
Just plug it in, man.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telentubes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 pm I received and installed the Cannabis Rex 12" that I mentioned a few post back and will report that it is a great speaker for the Princeton... concurring with norburybrook. It is a bit darker than the Eminence JS1250 I replaced, but as it breaks in, it is becoming more open. Lots of rich overtones and a more tame treble, so I can use my brighter Tele without that ice-pickieness we all dread. Really cool speaker. It seems very balanced, without a flabby low end, and without a spiky high end. A keeper. I will try the JS1250 in the '73 Deluxe Reverb I recently acquired, which currently has a very very heavy JBL in it. Sounds great, but not something I want to lug around.
that's a great way of describing what I get from my Princeton with that speaker too :D I use a tele as my main guitar so I agree 100%. I lent my Princeton to a great Italian guitarist I was working with recently as he was coming by public transport and I was driving. He brought a tele and absolutely loved the amp. It also records beautifully as well.

M
JGK

Post by JGK »

I just plugged in a Celestion 10" Gold in my EL34 champ build and I love it really sweet and not broken in yet. I am using a 10" Red Fang ceramic in my 89 Super Champ and I play out with it and it keep's up to a pretty loud drummer. I also have a WGS 10 I like. Although the last PR I built had a 12 inch WGS in it.
sll

Post by sll »

I have put 12" speakers, an EV SRO12 and a JBL D120f in my PRs along with Deluxe Reverb OTs. Just my preference but they both gig very well and have for years. Replacement baffles are readily available. Both are 1968s.