5D6 Bassman amp build in 5E3 cab.

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

loctal

5D6 Bassman amp build in 5E3 cab.

Post by loctal »

I put a 5D6 amp into a 5E3 cab. The fender style input has a 12AY7 input and the other input has a 6SQ7 tube with Marshall type values from RobRob's website. Output tubes are 5881s and the negative bias is supplied from a 6X4 tube. Power supply is from 5Y3, 80 or both. A mercury 83 maybe used in the 80 socket or a GZ34 in the 5Y3 socket. The whole B+ goes through a 6-8 Henry choke before the plates. The amp sounds good but the effort to use a high Mu input tube for the Marshall input was not worth time rolling through 20 NOS 6SQ7 tubes to find two which were quiet enough to be usable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loctal

Re: 5D6 Bassman amp build in 5E3 cab.

Post by loctal »

More pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Nice looking build!

You might want to rewire that 6sq7 socket and audition a 6sl7 as they seem to have a better audio quality to them to me.

Allow me to rib you here with your post, I don’t think Jensen was around to make speakers in or about the year 1060, lol!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Very impressive! This is something your cat can be proud of... 8)

I like to wire brush the pine wood for finish, NB.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

By the way, is your Cat declawed? It could be eying your nice new grill cloth when your not looking!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
loctal

Post by loctal »

The cat has his claws. The grill cloth is from an old Hammond tone cab. Everything in this build was vintage and used. At first, I built the amp with used paper and wax capacitors that were tested good but were too leaky so in went new caps. I won't rewire the Fender input for 6SL7 tubes but I will make a tube socket adaptor for that channel.